Select to view content in your preferred language

Snapping points to linear features...

08-05-2010 09:34 AM
MarkEnglish
Deactivated User
Is there a tool or multiple tools that would assist me in snapping multiple points to the closest linear feature, which in turn will be used for linear referencing.  Thanks in advance for any help!
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
One idea you can try - it is not snapping but creating points at the nearest locations on the lines:
- Run the Near tool on your points, with the "Location" option. This will add the NEAR_X and NEAR_Y fields to the point input.
- Then run the Make XY Event Layer tool, using the point feature class as the XY Table and the NEAR_X and NEAR_Y fields as the X and Y Fields. This should give you a point layer with all the points on the lines that are nearest to the input points.
- You can run Copy Features to save this layer to a feature class; all the input point attributes are carried over.

Hope the spatial associations of your points with lines are clear. If any point is in the same shortest distance to more than one line, then you might get a point on the wrong line.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
MarkEnglish
Deactivated User
Thanks a lot Dan.  Your right, I will have to verify accuracy by using detailed quality control.  Thanks again...
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
You are welcome. I am glad it helped. Good luck.
0 Kudos
MarkEnglish
Deactivated User
Hi Dan:
Is there a method of accomplishing this task by using topology?  Just a thought.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you thinking the topology rule for points - "must be covered by" lines? It might give you the association between points and lines, but doesn't snap or move your points to the nearest lines. I think these are two different things.
0 Kudos
MarkEnglish
Deactivated User
OK, I was just toying with another approach.  Unfortunately, it moves the arc feature as well.  I found the best approach to be your first suggestion of using the Near tool.  Thanks again...
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
I am glad to hear that. Yeah, it's good to test different ideas; just be aware that some tools with fuzzy tolerance or snapping options may alter the input locations. Make sure you understand the tools you are using.  🙂

Thanks for letting me know.
0 Kudos
MarkEnglish
Deactivated User
Hey Dan!  Are you guys hiring in the Geoprocessing Department?  I can shoot you my resume if applicable...  Thanks!
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
Mark,

I appreciate your interest, but this is not the right place to discuss such matter. You are welcome to post your resume at our website - career:
http://www.esri.com/careers/index.html

Thanks for understanding.
0 Kudos