Single / Binary Land Cover Classification in ArcGIS Pro

12-05-2022 11:09 PM
KentLocke
New Contributor II

[Also posted under ArcGIS Pro]

Hi everyone. I am trying to perform a land-cover classification for natural vegetation in my ROI. I'm really only interested in mapping the extent of natural vegetation--the other land-cover classes are not of interest--so would like to utilize a single-class classification approach, or perhaps a binary approach ("natural vegetation" vs "other" classes). Does anyone have any advice about doing that in ArcGIS pro, or reference material relating to performing a single-class/binary classification approach (specifically in ArcGIS)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

see

Overview of image classification—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

you could always Merge or Assign classes after the fact, depending whether you did a supervised or unsupervised classification

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KentLocke
New Contributor II

Hi everyone. I am trying to perform a land-cover classification for natural vegetation in my ROI. I'm really only interested in mapping the extent of natural vegetation--the other land-cover classes are not of interest--so would like to utilize a single-class classification approach, or perhaps a binary approach ("natural vegetation" vs "other" classes). Does anyone have any advice about doing that in ArcGIS pro, or reference material relating to performing a single-class/binary classification approach (specifically in ArcGIS)?

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Explore computing NDVI from your satellite data you could then threshold the results into a binary raster?

0 Kudos