Select to view content in your preferred language

Should there be a new "Python Scripting" forum?

10-27-2010 09:38 AM
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
Should there be a new "Python Scripting" forum that is seperate from the existing "Geoprocessing" and "ArcGIS Desktop - General" forum topics?

For the "long story" background on the issue: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/10092-Should-this-forum-be-SPLIT

The basic arguments are (and I am trying to be very 'fair and balanced' here, although maybe I shouldn't 😞

Yes: Python scripting continues to become an increasingly popular and important method to automate GIS workflows and with advances in v10, no longer applies to only geoprocessing tasks. Providing a separate "Python Scripting" forum will make it easier for knowledgeable contributors to reply to Python-related questions and provide a more focused and easy to browse knowledge base resource for all users interested in Python scripting.  

No: Fewer forum topics is better, as many new ESRI users do not know what forum to post their questions under. Having fewer forum topics concentrates traffic and maximizes posts. The more threads in a forum, the better chance the thread will be responded to. Python-related questions are best left in the existing "Geoprocessing" and/or "ArcGIS Desktop - General" forums.

Python users (or would-be users) unite! Help shape the new ESRI forum... Vote!
0 Kudos
85 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
I think Esri people should have a 100% say, its their forums, and I think they should get the same level of weight as the average user.  There was earlier discussion if you recall, on whether that would be the case.  Dan, you are correct in that jb is the only one that has commented, but if you look at the votes, two have voted against having a separate forum:  jscheirer and khibma. 

I am referring to these two and the others that may cast a vote.  Both have been very helpful to me in release and in beta, and are also in position to respond to any of us through this new thread.  There votes mean something.  This is my reference to Esri personnel, not so much the people that went the extra step and commented.  The ones that vote have an equal say in the matter.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Thanks Chris and Ted...but to carry on with Chris's Latin theme and to pass the torch to JB...

Quieta non movere
Quisque comoedum est

( Don't rock the boat )
(Everybody is a comedian)

Ciao
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
Cool!

I am in a bit of a crux since I want the new functionality of v10, but for current projects need the (relative) stability and consistency of v9.3.

Hmmm.... Guess I'll have to make the leap sooner than latter...
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
This is just an observation...

Isn't it kind of odd that there are three "unique" users: eaub490, rnig490 and ckel490Eaub490 is the only user with any posts.  The other users have zero posts and their activity ended around the same time...

Again, just an observation.

Here are some screen captures in case one of them decides to become active again after reading my post... :eek:
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
That does sound suspicious.

Maybe just a coincidence.
0 Kudos
SeanGambrel
Deactivated User
Yes, I believe so.  There is a lot of geoprocessing that is done without using Python, and I'd hate to see those "buried" by the python posts.
0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Deactivated User
I think thats our first post just telling us to leave. A valid reason though. I hope this is a trend towards more people voting (but not repeat voting :p)
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
Per the deleted posts (not sure why they were deleted, as they raised a valid concern):

eaub490 = Eric A.
rnig490 = Rebbecca N.
ckel490 = Christina K.
BTW: csny490 = me

Eric, Rebbecca, and Christina are all very knowledgeable GIS/Python co-workers that I encouraged to participate in the poll. I am not their supervisor (actually, Eric is my supervisor), so no potential voter bias - just a good ole' fashioned get out the vote effort on my part.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
hmmmmm...got classes totaling 100 before weeks end...might be a good strategy.  NOT!  It is in JB's court...
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
For 5 pts extra credit...
0 Kudos