Select to view content in your preferred language

Should there be a new "Python Scripting" forum?

10-27-2010 09:38 AM
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
Should there be a new "Python Scripting" forum that is seperate from the existing "Geoprocessing" and "ArcGIS Desktop - General" forum topics?

For the "long story" background on the issue: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/10092-Should-this-forum-be-SPLIT

The basic arguments are (and I am trying to be very 'fair and balanced' here, although maybe I shouldn't 😞

Yes: Python scripting continues to become an increasingly popular and important method to automate GIS workflows and with advances in v10, no longer applies to only geoprocessing tasks. Providing a separate "Python Scripting" forum will make it easier for knowledgeable contributors to reply to Python-related questions and provide a more focused and easy to browse knowledge base resource for all users interested in Python scripting.  

No: Fewer forum topics is better, as many new ESRI users do not know what forum to post their questions under. Having fewer forum topics concentrates traffic and maximizes posts. The more threads in a forum, the better chance the thread will be responded to. Python-related questions are best left in the existing "Geoprocessing" and/or "ArcGIS Desktop - General" forums.

Python users (or would-be users) unite! Help shape the new ESRI forum... Vote!
0 Kudos
85 Replies
ChrisMathers
Deactivated User
I think the answer to both depends on the questions being less general.

1. Posts like this http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/17229-Simple-question-about-using-variable-in-arcpy-tools deal directly with a specific tool, but are actually python synatx questions. The difference is that true GP questions have to do with how a tool runs and how the returned output can be used.

2.Map automation is trickier. It is defined in the help as GP so under the current generalization regime we should move it in here. I think it should go into the python forum. There are only 307 posts, less than one new post per day, and most if not all of the posts deal directly with a python module.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Ryan
So you are proposing that the forum could be further split depending upon the version of Python and ArcMap and/or whether the questions are pure Python related?
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
@Jim

I think if it has import arcpy in the body, it should be a part of the Python forum.  I know from beta, we were putting everything in gp if it had anything to do with import arcpy at least that's what I recall.  The other topics are a bit redundant at least to me.

Good lots of new votes.  Thank you Chris for selling the category, if this goes through its all thanks to you.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
51 / 1131 votes relative to view is underwhelming and I hope that we don't end up with the arcpy stuff from this forum
http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/20-ArcObjects-All-Development-Languages
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
@Jim: Didn't mean to razz you too bad about "GIS in General". A little bummed that some get their suggestions acted upon right away, while others have to work a little harder and wait a bit longer.

@Ryan: Dan isn't GISP certified, so go easy on him. You guys do have something in common you know...

@Ted: I'm not taking credit (or the blame). I think it was the 'Yes' voters/commenters that ultimately may(?) get a Python forum created - tomorrow's the 19th right? Not that I am counting down or anything :).

@Dan: Jim expressed something to the effect of he hopes everyone keeps on posting regardless of what decision he makes. If he doesn't split, I'll be kinda pissed, but I will surely still contribute. I'm sure we can all get past the outcome, regardless. I get your point about voter apathy - seems to be a common occurrence - even with the proposed Editing forum vote. Have you voted? There aren't any 'No' votes yet ;).
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Grief!...You reach a certain age and exposure to GIS that GISP certified really isn't an issue...first computer science course 1968...first GIS stuff was mainframe and on cards...ahhh the youth of today 🙂
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Generally I would prefer to see the Forum content topics more specifically focused, both while monitoring specific forum threads and while searching with forum tools or from external search engines.

So YES - split out Python from Geoprocessing into a new forum

My two cents...

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
first computer science course 1968...first GIS stuff was mainframe and on cards...

Mainframe? Cards? Dan, are you honestly claiming that practical experience is more important than a $500 piece of paper? If so, I hope you got my jest...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Grief...again...are you telling me you have to PAY to get certified???  What if your first language is Latin? 🙂

JB....you promised...tomorrow is the day, ...may the force be with you!
(the new MTHFBWY Python/ArcGIS module will be released in ArcGIS 10.2 currently in Alpha testing which will miraculously put all posts into their respective forums which will total no more than a dozen and everyone will know where their "stuff" will go 🙂 it's been fun)
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Honored Contributor
Google-enhanced Latin speakers? Well then it's honorary/free... Also honorary for people that are old enough to have ever done GIS with freakin' punch cards, so I guess we are both covered after all...
😄

MTFBWY - I had to look that one up. I too am looking forward to that functionality. Hope the beta testers do a better job this time.
0 Kudos