Select to view content in your preferred language

select by location

06-16-2010 11:43 AM
akikoelders
Emerging Contributor
Hi,
I am working on a project where I have a polygon and it has several layer one of which is a shoreline while the other is the ocean.  One of the things I need to find is all the places that are currently classified as ocean that are completely surrounded by shoreline (I eventually will reclassify these places).  What I have been trying to do is create to new layers through a select by attributes (one for ocean and one for shoreline) and then do a select by location for all places where the ocean is completely within the shoreline.  Ideally this method would select all of those cases (where the ocean is completely bounded by shore) but in actuality is does not select anything.  Has anyone ever had a similar case like this and found a solution?

Thanks for the help,
UMDprojects21
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
Have you created a model for your workflow? Can you share it? If not the toolbox an image?

For the second selection in Select Layer By Location what selection type are you using? New Selection/Subset Selection...?
0 Kudos
JillianKajewski
Deactivated User
Hi,

Yes what selection type are you using?

I have got to that stage in my project but then what do i do with the selected polygons? I cant export into a dbf table as it only gives me points.

Would anyone have an idea? Thanks.
0 Kudos