Raster Statistics

09-26-2011 01:13 PM
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Hi...Could you please tell me how to build statistics on  raster dataset..I tried it using Calculate Statistics tool but still didn't get any statistics on  the raster, I also tried ArcCatalog but still couldn't do it..
Thanks a lot..
ABDALLA
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Abdalla -

In ArcCatalog, right click on the raster and select "Calculate Statistics" from the context menu.  You can then go into the Properties of the raster and see the Min, Max, Mean, StdDev, etc.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Robert..Thanks for your response. That exactly what I did but didn't work..When I check raster properties there is none..Any other hint..Appreciated
Thanks
ABDALLA
USGS Lakewood
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Abdalla -

What is the format of your raster datasets and are they stored in SDE by chance?  If so, it could be a permissions issue.

Regards,

Robert
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Robert-
They are in grid format and I don't really know if they are stored in SDE format or not.How would you tell?. My boss emailed them to me like that. Do you think they are missing any other files that should be included with them..
Best Regards..
ABDALLA
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
I see - Esri GRID format is similar in composition to an ArcInfo coverage (i.e. a folder/workspace/etc) in the sense that it requires the INFO directory.  The INFO directory stores the attributes for the raster dataset as well as other items.  So if you're boss only emailed you the GRID folder without the INFO folder, then bad things are amiss.  This may be the root of the problem.
0 Kudos
ABDALLAMOHAMED
Occasional Contributor
Robert-
This is the first time I encountered this kind of problem..But I have the feeling that something is missing..Now I know I'm missing the Info folder..I will check with my boss and see if he has it..
Thanks a lot for your help..Appreciated.
Best Regards..
ABDALLA
0 Kudos