Python geoprocessing script published as service doesn't use the Data Store

3427
5
Jump to solution
11-18-2014 04:16 PM
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Greetings,

I have a simple python script that buffers a parcel and returns a CSV of parcels within a specified distance of the original parcel.  This is published as a service and seems to work very well.  My problem is that when I publish this script as a service, the publishing tool makes a complete (unnecessary) copy of my parcel geodatabase.  Then continues to use the copied file geodatabase rather than the registered geodatabase.  The script was published in March 2014, so the data is getting somewhat stale.  I do have the parcel geodatabase registered in the data store, but when published it does not recognize it.

How do I publish a script to use the geodatabase and not make a copy?  I would appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

This is a known issue logged as NIM104122 [If the input data to a geoprocessing service is resides in a SQL Server Express database, the data is copied to the ArcGIS input folder and the task only run on that static data.]

The workaround is to stop the service and copy fresh data in to the file geodatabase.  This problem is supposed to be fixed at version 10.3.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

This is a known issue logged as NIM104122 [If the input data to a geoprocessing service is resides in a SQL Server Express database, the data is copied to the ArcGIS input folder and the task only run on that static data.]

The workaround is to stop the service and copy fresh data in to the file geodatabase.  This problem is supposed to be fixed at version 10.3.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This bug was logged when I was working with ESRI in August. We've been waiting with bated breath for 10.3 and the fix....and it is not fixed. It in fact states "Closed: Will Not be Addressed".

I called ESRI and will have follow-up on Monday but this is a serious let down if it has been dismissed.

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Sarah,

You are correct!  I was also hopeful.  I too installed ArcGIS Server 10.3 today and republished my service and it again copies my entire parcel feature class to a file geodatabase for use with the service instead of using my geodatabase.  I already have another ticket open with ESRI support.  No contact yet, just the automatic replies...

Best Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tom.

I finally heard back and I think I have it working. The trick is to create a Database Connection in ArcCatalog, and then when you add the data to the map for publishing it should be from the Database Connection, not the Database Server connection. I changed my map and when I checked on the server it had copied over the connection file rather than the data, and downloads worked!

Sarah

TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Sarah,

Excellent!  I am glad you have it working.  In my case I am publishing the geoprocessing service directly in ArcCatalog.  I run the tool in ArcCatalog from my toolbox and then publish the successful result as a service.  It isn't a tool published as part of a ArcMap project.  I am still waiting to hear back from ESRI support...

Best Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos