Opening tools from the search window

Jump to solution
07-30-2015 02:39 AM
GerradJones
New Contributor

Until recently, I was able to search for a tool and open it from the search window.  However, if I search for ANY tool (e.g., clip), I cannot open it from the search window.  If I go to the ArcToolbox, I can open all the trees and find the tools and open them from there with no problems.  This, of course, takes much longer.

Recently, I deleted all the files in my default geodatabase. The default geodatabase is on my company’s network drive and it was taking up all the allotted space I had.  I have been saving all of my “critical” files in a separate folder that wasn’t on the network, so I thought I could just delete everything in the default geodatabase.  I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but before I deleted the files, I had no problems and after deleting the files, it stopped working.  I thought this was at least worth mentioning.

Does anyone know what the problem is or how I can fix it? 

Thank you very much for your time and help.  I greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III

Have you tried renaming your Esri folder in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI?  This is my go-to solution when ArcMap or ArcCatalog have strange behaviour.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III

Have you tried renaming your Esri folder in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI?  This is my go-to solution when ArcMap or ArcCatalog have strange behaviour.

GerradJones
New Contributor

Thank you Jennifer!  That is a nifty trick.  After changing the name, everything worked as before.  I will have to remember that in the future.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gerrad,

You should never delete the files within a GDB from Windows Explorer. Always delete the whole GDB, if required.

Close all ArcGIS applications. Delete the Default.gdb and start ArcMap again.

Think Location
GerradJones
New Contributor

Hi Jayanta,

For some reason, I started having problems with ArcCatalog and I was receiving errors saying that I didn't have permission to delete files or that the files were read only.  After 10 minutes of trying to figure it out, I just went to windows explorer and deleted everything form there.  That was probably what caused the problem.

0 Kudos