Multiple ring buffers and spatial join help please

01-20-2021 04:25 AM
LynneMcCosh
New Contributor

Hi, I am a novice and am using ArcMap 10.3.1 desktop. I have two layers one containing fields and another containing areas of interest. I need to find out all the fields within 1,2,3,4km etc of the area of interest. (Preferably without duplication if one field overlaps the buffers)
I attempted to do this by creating multiple ring buffers at the various distances and then a spatial join between them and the field layer, however the data output is all duplicated at each distance so I’ve obviously gone wrong somewhere. Can anyone explain how best to do this task please? Many thanks 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You probably have overlapping buffers generated rather than discs, although discs should be the default.

I'd also suggest using Near (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation tool instead.

Are you able to provide a screenshot of the issue you're experiencing, along with what the data looks like?

0 Kudos
LynneMcCosh
New Contributor

Hi David, 

I used the Multiple Ring Buffer tool and picked ‘None’ for the dissolve option. 

I can’t share the data but I am getting the same field identification numbers (I am referring to literal green fields) listed for each buffer distance and an equal number of results for each buffer distance. 

I have had a look at the Near tool you mentioned but I’m struggling to apply it to what I am trying to do - apologies complete novice. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yeh that's the issue then.  The dissolve option should be 'ALL'.