Make xy event layer issues 10.1

07-24-2013 05:03 AM
KevinGledhill
New Contributor
I have a table with some lat/long values, and am simply trying to create an xy event layer from them.  No matter what I do (format, projections, etc) they points will not create in the correct lat/long location.  I believe it's a 10.1 issue, and maybe bug, since I sent the data to a friend with 10.0 and he had no trouble what so ever.  I even followed his exact steps. 

Are there known issues with the xy event tool in 10.1?  Or any suggestions/pre processing I could do to make this work? 

Thanks,

Kevin
0 Kudos
12 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Bruce, if you look at your table there are several columns given the coordinates in different formats.

The "Easting" and "Northing" columns appears to be State plane feet. So if you had used these in the MakeXYEvents, the points would have been created directly in the stateplane projected system.

LONG_DD & LAT_DD are exactly what they call themselves, Lat/Long degrees decimal.

N

0 Kudos
BruceLang
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Neil,

Thanks for keeping on top of this.  After your last reply, I wondered if the easting and northing values pertained to the State Plane coordinates - tried it and it worked perfectly.

So it turns out I didn't have to create the LONG_DD/LAT_DD values after all - silly me, but that's how we learn.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

You cannot see attachment from your inbox. You have to open the content to see the attachments.