Select to view content in your preferred language

getting stream segments from different layers to align

04-06-2011 12:06 PM
MikeHouts
Emerging Contributor
I have attributes in my SWIMS stream layer that I want to get transferred to the more spatially accurate NHD stream layer. The currently dont line up well at all, so my plan was to get them to align (somehow) and then do an intersect and join based on the new common attributes.

Does this seem like the best method, and if so, how do I get the two stream layers to align?

P.S. Im doing this statewide, so I cant manually use the new trace function in 10.

Thanks, Mike
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Mike,

It seems that you have a conflation case to solve. You are right, the first step is to get the source and target data closely aligned (i.e. spatial adjustment). Currently there are only interactive tools on the Spatial Adjustment toolbar that allow you to create adjustment links from source features to target features. Once sufficient links have been created, you can apply Rubbersheet method to perform the adjustment and/or attribute transfer. I know it is a lot of work to interactively create the links; we are working on an automated feature matching and link creation, as well as attribute transfer. I am interested in your use case and requirements, and if possible some sample data would be great. You can contact me and send info/data to dlee@esri.com. Thank you in advance!

Regards.
0 Kudos
MikeHouts
Emerging Contributor
Dan,

Thanks for the response.  I did look at the Conflate command, but because the offset is not consistent in any one direction (or distance) it did not look like rubber sheeting of some other systematic adjustment would work.  While researching Conflate, I discovered the Integrate function, and that was really close to what I was wanting.  The only only problem was it moved both data sets to a common middle area instead of just one of them to a target data set.  Appreciate your offer to look at this more and I will send you a subset of the two data sets Im working with later today. 

Thanks, Mike
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Mike,

Thanks for offering sample data. I look forward to your email.

Regarding rubbersheeting, it is the right adjustment to do for inconsistent shifts between source and target data set. The links may point to any directions as long as they link the matching features/locations.

Thanks.
0 Kudos