Cutting Polygons which overlap

07-26-2014 08:06 AM
LukeR
by
New Contributor

Hi there,

I am currently creating a map which has different polygons/layers on it as shown in the attached image. I would love the base map to be more visible but with all the layers, thats quite hard, especially because in the middle there are about 4 different layers on the go. Making some transparent doesnt really work.

As you can see each, layer covers a wider area (so the purple zone covers a wider area than the diagonal stripes zone) - so is there a way to delete parts of polygons/layers where i.e the Orange layer overlaps the diagonal striped layer so the only orange that is shown is where it is not overlapping the diagonal striped area? As you can see the mix of the two creates an orange diagonal striped area which is a bit confusing in my opinion. Basically what I need is that there is only ever 1 layer covering a certain place at any one time, not up to 3 or 4!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LukeR
by
New Contributor

Anyone know what to do?

0 Kudos
RonaldAbelon
New Contributor II

Give me a few minutes.

0 Kudos
RonaldAbelon
New Contributor II

Is it not possible to edit the striped symbology in the Symbology Editor, to change the transparent parts to a solid color? Otherwise, is should be possible to add a solid layer to the striped symbology in order to create the solid-backed striping.

0 Kudos
LukeR
by
New Contributor

HI I'm not quite sure what you mean?

is it possible to just get rid of the areas which overlap so only one layer is present over 1 particular place at any one time thus removing having symbologies which get mixed from the colours above them?

0 Kudos
LukeR
by
New Contributor

Any further answers?

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Luke,

have a ve a look at the symmetrical difference tool to remove the areas that overlap:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

it requires an advanced licence though.

0 Kudos
LukeR
by
New Contributor

Ahh ok, I am using ArcGIS provided by a licence from my university which I doubt will be advanced. I take it there are no other options for standard licenses?

0 Kudos