Coordinate system transformation is backwards

08-21-2011 07:54 PM
LaurenFagg
Occasional Contributor
Hi All,

I was hoping that someone else has run across this problem OR that someone out there can test it and see if they come across the same issue.

I have a 1000mx1000m grid in GDA94, MGA zone 56. I wanted to re-project it into AGD66 AMG Zone 56 so that I could georeference an old topographic map.

Using the Project tool in Arcmap, using any of the provided AGD66 to GDA94 transformations, produced a grid that was shifted the correct distance, but south west instead of North east!

Any comments or similar findings would be welcome. (If this is a real bug I will report it to ESRI)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi All,

I was hoping that someone else has run across this problem OR that someone out there can test it and see if they come across the same issue.

I have a 1000mx1000m grid in GDA94, MGA zone 56. I wanted to re-project it into AGD66 AMG Zone 56 so that I could georeference an old topographic map.

Using the Project tool in Arcmap, using any of the provided AGD66 to GDA94 transformations, produced a grid that was shifted the correct distance, but south west instead of North east!

Any comments or similar findings would be welcome. (If this is a real bug I will report it to ESRI)

Hi Lauren,

That's generally what I would expect for the change in direction. Don't forget the the older map grid  has "even" values--you're not going to match that grid by using "even" values in GDA94 and transforming it back to AGD66. Can you tell me more specifically where the data's located? I may then be able to check against the appropriate state transformation program.

Melita
0 Kudos