Command Prompt Error 000824: The tool is not licensed

Jump to solution
01-23-2014 10:39 AM
MeredithGreen
New Contributor III
I have a script that I run through the command prompt that calls the model I want to run.  This is the work around in order to schedule a task for the model on my computer.  If I run the model in model builder, it runs fine.  But when I run it through the python script I get the ERROR 000824:  The tool is not licensed. 

Right now I am working with ArcGIS Desktop 10 Service Pack 5 and Python 26 installed on my computer.  I know these aren't the most up to date versions so could it be that there is a bug and I just need to update everything to the current versions? 

I have unchecked and checked the extensions in ArcMap and ArcCatalog and it made no difference.  I also unchecked the Enable option for Background Processing in the Geoprocessing Options, which has been suggested as a possible fix, and still the same error. 

Before going to IT and asking for software updates, I wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before and if there are other possible solutions that I have not thought of for the fix? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Just a guess, but does your script 1.) SetProduct and 2.) if necessary, CheckOutExtension?

From each above functions' help, "The setting of the product and extensions is only necessary within stand-alone scripts. If you are running tools from the Python window or using script tools, the product is already set from within the application, and the active extensions are based on the Extensions dialog box."

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Just a guess, but does your script 1.) SetProduct and 2.) if necessary, CheckOutExtension?

From each above functions' help, "The setting of the product and extensions is only necessary within stand-alone scripts. If you are running tools from the Python window or using script tools, the product is already set from within the application, and the active extensions are based on the Extensions dialog box."