Select to view content in your preferred language

Automate extracting polygon boundaries and digitize polygons from a printed map converted to .tiff.

07-05-2023 06:39 PM
jmc11
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm not totally sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but hopefully someone can point me in a good direction.

I'm working on digitizing polygons from a printed map that I converted to a .tiff and there are quite a few polygons so I'm trying to automate the process. I haven't done much work with image processing like this. Below is a screenshot of one of my maps.

I'm looking into GDAL/OGR, ORFEO, ImageJ but I'm just not sure how to get started, or if this is even possible. Is the best route to digitize manually, or is there a way to automate?

jmc11_0-1688607343837.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Your image seems to be showing census areas, these polygons will exist already, suggest you search the relevant city authority. As its USA data have you looked at the Living Atlas?

I've not done much feature extraction but you have roads, labels, coloured dots in the mix and I would imagine extraction in some automated way would be messy?

0 Kudos