arcMap 10.1 trace tool not activated

Jump to solution
07-18-2014 09:16 AM
kenhubbard
New Contributor II

I used to use ArcGIS 9.3 I use a layer that is a mdb file to log speed zones on a map.  We used to log additions or modifications by editing the file and using the trace tool that would add a record in the mdb and a line on the map with all the assocated paper file reference numbers.

We upgraded to 10.1 and the trace tool no longer activates when editing the mdb file.

I read that there were issues with mdb files and the new 10.1 so I converted the personal databse to a file database and still it doesn't activate.

any advice is greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mapperzmap
New Contributor III

"previously trace only used the topological editing settings. now in 10 it uses the new snapping. If you switch to classic snapping you would have to use the topological editing toolbar to utilize trace snapping. I could be wrong but this is my opinion. You could try making layer 2 and 1 the only 2 selectable layers"

arcgis 10.0 - ArcGIS10 Trace tool not honoring classic snapping - Geographic Information Systems Sta...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mapperzmap
New Contributor III

"previously trace only used the topological editing settings. now in 10 it uses the new snapping. If you switch to classic snapping you would have to use the topological editing toolbar to utilize trace snapping. I could be wrong but this is my opinion. You could try making layer 2 and 1 the only 2 selectable layers"

arcgis 10.0 - ArcGIS10 Trace tool not honoring classic snapping - Geographic Information Systems Sta...

0 Kudos
kenhubbard
New Contributor II

Awesome, I see I have a lot to learn.

In your response the link to the other post it said

If you select the line you want to trace, then activate the trace tool>right click>trace options>trace selected features, you should be able to do what you need regardless of what snapping environment you are using.”

Can you give me more information on  “activate the trace tool>right click>trace options>trace selected features”

I’ve right clicked everything and I don’t see trace options anywhere?

0 Kudos