Why so many database versions when reconcile?

07-14-2018 06:22 AM
GideonDalrymple
New Contributor III

Hi all,

So I've got an enterprise geodatabase that is used by collector for field workers to collect data. I've seen the total number of versions increased up to 230 now. Is that a lot? Am I doing something wrong? I compress the geodatabase regularly. 

Any input will help. 

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Gideon 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How many versions did u have before Collector was running against enterprise geodatabase?

0 Kudos
GideonDalrymple
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply! I started off between 10 to 20 versions I believe. Is there any way to view which versions are active? (for want of a better word)? Also I just remembered something. I factory reset my android phone which has collector on it then re-installed , downloaded the offline map then i noticed that the number of versions increased when I reconciled.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would use 230 as a baseline for the number of versions now.  Then track the number of versions over the next week and see if this number changes.

I would then create an incident with ESRI technical support to ask about the behavior you saw when the number of versions went from 10 - 20 to 230 as Collector was hooked into the enterprise geodatabase.  You may need technical support from 2 units on this one (developers for the Collector and geodatabase team as you are working with an enterprise geodatabase).  ESRI may recommend a modified workflow to control the number of versions.

Now if you see an increase of versions from 230 over the week you are testing this phenomenon, you can also mention this information to tech support.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
GideonDalrymple
New Contributor III

What happens if I select the option to Delete version after post when I reconcile. This may sound like a silly question but just for my better understanding. 

Will the data devices that are being used to collect information through the app be affected? 

0 Kudos