Why does arcpy.RebuildIndexes_management try and rebuild indexes on view?

12-23-2019 08:16 AM
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

I have an SDE maintenance script that has been working flawlessly on a number databases. I recently added another DB to my maintenance list, and for this one, the script bombs during the "arcpy.RebuildIndexes_management" step. The error is:

Could not rebuild indexes for dataset MYDB.dbo.myunsuspectingdatabaseView.[Operation Failed]

It fails when encountering a view!

Any idea under which circumstances that would happen? I have lots of views in my databases. While names don't always clearly indicate what's view (and I certainly wasn't the one to create them all), they can always be identified in SSMS under "view" or by the lower case "dbo" schema identifier (SQL Server). I have not run into this problem with views in any other database.

Any idea what might be going on here? I suppose I could create some sort of exclusion list and skip these objects but I'd like to understand what the problem is.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

When you run it on other DB's are you running on DBO or SDE also?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert

Everything in the script and about the other databases is the same, including DBO. The only thing that changes is the SDE connection file the script uses to connect.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Ok, that is weird. I have not seen that happen before. You may want to reach out to tech support on this.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert

My suspicion first was that something didn't get registered correctly with GDB. I ran into that last week. Things that get created and registered, then deleted using non ArcGIS tools. Figured this was maybe some kind of orphaned object. But I can't imagine why it would even look at something that's a view. I'll search some more through forums. Really not a major issue if i can figure out how to skip that "bad" ones. 

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert

Wanted to provide an update on this:

I believe the issue was caused by trying to create/register spatial views in a SDE database of version 10.2. This is a little used database that apparently was never update. Others are all 10.5.From this thread  understand that there was some changes from pre-10.5. Why this would have caused views to end up in [SDE_table_registry], I don't understand but that's what tripped up my maintenance script when trying to rebuild/refresh indexes.

I haven't actually had time to update the GDB, I'll add a note about what that does. 

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

A bit of a side step, but there is also the concept of a "materialized view", which are views that reside on disk like a normal table, and that can be indexed as an ordinary table (at least in PostgreSQL which I am using, but I guess this is no different in SQL Server).

So it would not be entirely surprising for the tool to attempt re-indexing a (materialized) view.

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert

Yes, good point, Marco - familiar with materialized views or indexed views. However, I don't know how the arcpy reindex method is supposed to treat such indexes. In my case, there are no indexes associated with these views, at least none I can discern in SSMS.

0 Kudos