Why can't I view postgresql materialized views in ArcGIS desktop?

06-07-2016 11:58 AM
soniadickerson1
Occasional Contributor

I'm using postgres 9.3. and ArcGIS 10.3 desktop.  Views with the same granted privileges show up but materialized views do not. Anyone else run into this? Thanks greatly, Sonia

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sonia,

I can see this behavior in 10.3.1 as well, however, it looks like the behavior is fixed in 10.4. There are a lot of fixes made at this release (10.4) for querying the available objects and general performance.

Are you able to test or work with 10.4?

0 Kudos
soniadickerson1
Occasional Contributor

I don't have access to 10.4 right at this time, but I'm going to want to deploy an ArcGIS Server 10.3.1map service with these materialized views.  So even if I had 10.4 desktop, would it even work with ArcGIS Server 10.3.1?

0 Kudos
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

I haven't tested publishing to 10.3.1 Server, but I will look to test there.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not with PostGREsql but this is the same with Oracle I believe.  Are you trying to use query layers to access the Materialized View with  spatial data?  Without spatial data?  With Oracle, to oversimplify,  Materialized views don't support geometry.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have materialized views been modified to support geometry in ArcMap 10.5.x and 10.6?

0 Kudos
soniadickerson1
Occasional Contributor

Postgres materialized views work in ArcMap 10.5.  Not sure about 10.6.  The geometry column needs to be named shape and you need a unique identifier column in order for all of the rows to show up.