Want to know the difference in speed of copy_management vs copyfeatures_management

02-13-2020 01:50 PM
RobLane
New Contributor

I am trying to copy from an Oracle ArcSDE 9.x database to an AWS postgres geodatabase very specific datasets including indexes.

At present I am using arcpy as I have to automate the process.

Specifically I am using copy_management. Some datasets take a minute or 2 to copy and some take over a day.

I was wondering if copyfeatures_management would be any quicker to use? If so, does anyone have any metrics?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Copying from a local client to any cloud GDB may take some time and there will be inconsistencies on peformance.

What is the version of the GDB in AWS? 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RobLane
New Contributor

10.7.1.2.4 Geodatabase

0 Kudos
RobLane
New Contributor

I have definitely experienced the inconsistencies in performance which is why I would like to investigate improving the speed.... if at all possible

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would highly recommend only connecting to the GDB in the cloud from a machine in the same cloud and region for better performance.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

You should think about copy to a local FGDB (or shape), zip it, load it to AWS and then copy it locally on the clod into the database.

The network handle 1 big file must better then many small packages.

With big files it usually much quicker.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Copy—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

does a lot more than

Copy Features—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

I would start by comparing what you need to copy and whether your data has any of the conditions and properties that would require Copy to be used over Copy Features

0 Kudos