update "A" table and base table

06-22-2022 11:46 AM
Labels (1)
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

We have a large number of versions (I know it is bad -- but it is out of my control). So, I hate to put extra stress on the versioning system. I have a large number of attribute updates that are needed. I am hesitant to do this through the Esri version system. In the past we have gotten around this by updating base table and the "A" table (delta table) with pure sql. For example, say I have a versioned FC called my_fc and it has an "A "table called A100. I want to update the field, my_field, in the FC. So, we write a sql statement to update my_field in the base table and the "A" table to the new value.

It has worked good and we have never noticed any issues. But, it is an out of the box solution. So, I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with this technique.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

If editing using SQL is comfortable for you, why not edit the versioned view using SQL, which is supported by Esri as well. 

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/using-sql-with-gdbs/overview-edit-versioned-...

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, I do that as well. But that uses the version system. So, it will add more rows the the delta tables that then must be compressed away (you hope).

0 Kudos