Unversioned Enterprise Geodatabase Maintenance Question

Jump to solution
08-31-2022 09:48 AM
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

We have an un-versioned Enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server version 10.5.1  w/ ArcGIS 10.8 Server, and ArcMap 10.8.2 / ArcGIS Pro 3 desktop platforms.

My question is, what maintenance tasks should we be performing on the Enterprise geodatabase?  I know that for the versioned geodatabase you have to run regular reconcile/post, compression, rebuild index, analyze, and rebuild statistics.  But, for the un-versioned geodatabase, is this necessary?  I would like to know so we can optimize performance on our feature classes.

Also, is it necessary to have attribute indexes and/or spatial indexes on feature classes in an un-versioned geodatabase? 

Note:  I have done several google searches and looked extensively online for documentation that references my questions and have not been able to conclude the answer. 

Much thanks in advance to somebody can help.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you still must perform regular maintenance even when you geodatabase is not registered as versioned and you are still editing data in the geodatabase in the sde.default version. Why? the edits that you perform are DML data manipulation operations (inserts, updates, deletes) in the RDBMS, these causes the indexes to become fragmentated and outdated hence is necessary at a regular internal to gather new statistics and rebuild indexes. How about sde compress ??? the geodatabase featureclasses and tables are not registered  as versioned then versioning editing is not possible, therefore the versioning state lineage tree will not grow, hence it will not be necessary to perform a geodatabase sde compress often, but if you still run a sde compress then it is fine nothing to worry. Yes, you still need to have attribute indexes and spatial indexes even when the geodatabase is not registered as versioned, indexes are the bread and butter for the RDBMS, it is how the RDBMS finds the data that is stored in the disk datafiles, without indexes the database will fetch data very slow and your performance will drop considerably for example when you try to zoom in and zoom out in a map or when you try to query the featureclass table using a field that has an index and you discover the featureclass has 10 million rows, or when the symbology of the layers on your map have a definition query that combines multiple fields, if those fields have a composite index then the draw performance is faster.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer |  

| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP – Oracle Certified Professional |

| Esri | 380 New York St | Redlands, CA 92373 | USA |

| Esri Enterprise Mapping and Charting Databases Best Practices |

THE SCIENCE OF WHERE ®

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you still must perform regular maintenance even when you geodatabase is not registered as versioned and you are still editing data in the geodatabase in the sde.default version. Why? the edits that you perform are DML data manipulation operations (inserts, updates, deletes) in the RDBMS, these causes the indexes to become fragmentated and outdated hence is necessary at a regular internal to gather new statistics and rebuild indexes. How about sde compress ??? the geodatabase featureclasses and tables are not registered  as versioned then versioning editing is not possible, therefore the versioning state lineage tree will not grow, hence it will not be necessary to perform a geodatabase sde compress often, but if you still run a sde compress then it is fine nothing to worry. Yes, you still need to have attribute indexes and spatial indexes even when the geodatabase is not registered as versioned, indexes are the bread and butter for the RDBMS, it is how the RDBMS finds the data that is stored in the disk datafiles, without indexes the database will fetch data very slow and your performance will drop considerably for example when you try to zoom in and zoom out in a map or when you try to query the featureclass table using a field that has an index and you discover the featureclass has 10 million rows, or when the symbology of the layers on your map have a definition query that combines multiple fields, if those fields have a composite index then the draw performance is faster.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer |  

| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP – Oracle Certified Professional |

| Esri | 380 New York St | Redlands, CA 92373 | USA |

| Esri Enterprise Mapping and Charting Databases Best Practices |

THE SCIENCE OF WHERE ®

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply and information.  

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos