This operation is not supported on Esri Spatial Types

Jump to solution
02-23-2021 02:01 PM
JasonHarshman
Occasional Contributor

I recently upgraded our SDE Enterprise Geodatabase to 10.9.0.2.7 from 10.6.x following an upgrade to our PostgreSQL database to 12.5. I upgraded the Enterprise Geodatabase using ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and had no issues with upgrading the Geodatabase. 

However, I've noticed some issues related to tables with geometry columns. For example, when I attempt to run the Check Geometry tool on any registered feature class, I get a validation error that says, "ERROR 003341 This operation is not supported on Esri Spatial Types". This is odd because the geometry type is an Esri Spatial Type because that's what the spatial type was before the upgrade and nothing changed other than upgrading the Geodatabase using ArcGIS Pro. I also know the database host has a valid st_geometry.so file because I was able to successfully enable a new database as a Geodatabase following the upgrade. 

Has anyone experienced this type of behavior? Is there a way to check what the spatial type is of a geometry column in Postgres?  

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for updating the images, that helps 1000%. I think that the issue is related to what spatial types that the Check Geometry tool supports

"Valid input formats are shapefiles, and feature classes stored in a file or enterprise geodatabase. For feature classes stored in an enterprise geodatabase, the following spatial types are supported:

• Microsoft SQL Server Geometry and Geography
  • PostgreSQL PostGIS Geometry and Geography
  • Oracle SDO Geometry"

That would mean that the tool does not support ST_Geometry.

Could you export the feature to a file geodatabase to run?

I was looking to see if their is an ST operator that could be run but could not figure one for your use case: 

Hope this helps!

--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson

Can you repost the screenshots, they are not coming up?

When you upgraded the Enterprise Geodatabase, did you update the st_geometry.so file on the PostgreSQL server?

What is the O/S of the PostgreSQL server being used?

What was the exact workflow that caused the error?

Did you update the PostGIS version in the database also?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JasonHarshman
Occasional Contributor

Hi George,

I updated my post with new images so hopefully those work.

The OS is Ubuntu 16. 

The workflow is simple. When I select a feature class from the database as an Input for the Check Geometry tool, the red "X" shows up and tells me that the input is invalid because the spatial type is not an Esri Spatial Type. If the image loads then this should make more sense.

The database does not have PostGIS. 

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Thanks for updating the images, that helps 1000%. I think that the issue is related to what spatial types that the Check Geometry tool supports

"Valid input formats are shapefiles, and feature classes stored in a file or enterprise geodatabase. For feature classes stored in an enterprise geodatabase, the following spatial types are supported:

• Microsoft SQL Server Geometry and Geography
  • PostgreSQL PostGIS Geometry and Geography
  • Oracle SDO Geometry"

That would mean that the tool does not support ST_Geometry.

Could you export the feature to a file geodatabase to run?

I was looking to see if their is an ST operator that could be run but could not figure one for your use case: 

Hope this helps!

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JasonHarshman
Occasional Contributor

Wow. I guess I didn't consider a tool built by Esri with a method to validate geometry using an "Esri" method would not support a spatial type developed by Esri. 

I appreciate the responses, George. 

Jason  

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I think that when you use the Esri spatial type it should be checking (correcting) geometry issues. In the past we did not have a way to check (or control) the other native RDBMS spatial types. I have seen where data is entered via non-ArcGIS clients and cause geometry issues. This was a way to check these out.

You may want to reach out to Technical Support to ask about the Esri spatial type checking.

--- George T.
0 Kudos