Subtype within a Subtype?

02-08-2019 11:55 AM
Col_Forbin
New Contributor III

I'm working with Uniformat 2 building component condition data.  The classification system of building components has 7 groups and up to 4 levels within each group.  Attached is an excerpt from the classification scheme up to three levels.

I'm looking at setting up this scheme as subtypes and domains but just not sure how to go about it.  From the attached, I would say there are three subtypes: SUBSTRUCTURE, SHELL, and INTERIORS.  Now for the SUBSTRUCTURE group there are two "subtypes": FOUNDATIONS, and BASEMENT CONSTRUCTION.  Now for FOUNDATIONS the domain would be:

STANDARD FOUNDATIONS
SPECIAL FOUNDATIONS
SLAB ON GRADE

Can I have a subtypes within a subtype?

4 Replies
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamie,

As far as my knowledge goes, we can not create and associate subtypes within subtypes in geodatabase. My suggestion is to modify or work on your database design to accomplish required subtypes and domains.

Here is the web help on subtypes and domains for your reference:

Introduction to subtypes—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

Thanks,

Biraja

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I think you nailed this, Tom.  The request has been out there for a while (https://community.esri.com/ideas/2826 + an internal enhancement request) but really with the introduction of Contingent Attribute Values many use cases should be covered.

Col_Forbin
New Contributor III

Yes this looks exactly like what I need.  Would the contingent values be honored in ArcGIS Online when editing the attributes?  I'm working in an enterprise geodatabase.  What about if the feature class was brought into ArcMap and edited, would the contingencies be honored?  Thanks

0 Kudos