ST_Geometry with Oracle RDS on AWS

03-12-2020 02:38 AM
rajeshc
New Contributor II

Is it possible to use ST_Geometry spatial type with Oracle RDS on AWS?

On-Premise way is to copy the st_geometry dll file on to the database machine.  

Can we achieve it on AWS RDS for oracle?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately it looks like Oracle RDS is not supported in AWS for an Enterprise Geodatabase at this time.

ArcGIS Enterprise on AWS deployment tools can create enterprise geodatabases in the following AWS databases:

• Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL
  • Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) for PostgreSQL
  • Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) for SQL Server

Deployment tools provided by Esri do not create geodatabases in Microsoft SQL Server or PostgreSQL, but you can create your own instance with SQL Server on it and run the Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tool to create the geodatabase.

At this time, ArcGIS supports only database-authenticated connections to these database services.

Geodatabases on Amazon Web Services—ArcGIS Enterprise on AWS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

--- George T.
rajeshc
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

Our plan is to import an existing on-premise enterprise geodatabase to AWS RDS.  I guess this approach may not require AWS deployment tools.  Please clarify whether there are any challenges with this approach.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

If you moving to one of the supported RDBMS listed above, here is documentation on how to move to AWS - Strategies for loading data into a geodatabase on Amazon Web Services—ArcGIS Enterprise on AWS | Doc... 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
kumaralok988
New Contributor

HI,

We are plannig to move oracle geodatabase to rds amazon for oracle. Is oracle geodatabase supported with amazon rds environment right now?Is rds amazon for oracle is good choice for production regarding esri geodatabase?

thanks,

Alok

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Hi @kumaralok988 ,

I just checked the docs and Oracle is not supported as of the latest release: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/cloud/amazon/geodatabases-and-arcgis-server-on-aws.ht...

I would say that if you have to move to AWS RDS that you look at Postgres (I have clients using this deployment and it works well) or SQL Server.

--- George T.
kumaralok988
New Contributor

Thanks George_Thompson it will help me to decisive about choices.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I would like to make the point that at the current time these are the options in AWS that are supported. I am not sure if support for Oracle in AWS RDS is on the roadmap.

--- George T.
0 Kudos