SQL Server Express with ArcGIS Enterprise (going forward)

02-05-2024 08:24 AM
tbearb
by
New Contributor III

Does anyone know what the long term plan will be for SQL Server Express being used with ArcGIS Enterprise going forward?

I know work groups / SQL express / ArcMap work in conjunction with one another and with ArcMap being deprecated this year, does that also mean going forward it will be incompatible with ArcGIS Enterprise?

I see ArcGIS Enterprise version 11.2 is compatible with SQL Server Express. We are currently on enterprise version 10.9.1, using SQL Server Express / work groups and I am wondering if we need to start making plans now to transition to enterprise geodatabases if we're looking to eventually upgrade to 11.3.

Thanks!

6 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@tbearb - ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.2 has entered mature support and ArcGIS Workgroup Geodatabases (SQL Express) will not be supported in ArcGIS Pro.

ArcMap Life Cycle | Esri Support

If you already have ArcGIS Server Licenses, then your license file includes the license for Enterprise Geodatabases. You can use that license to setup an Enterprise Geodatabase in SQL Server (Enterprise, Standard, Developer or Express ) and then you can reload the data.

ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 requirements for Microsoft SQL Server—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentati...

-----------------------

Workgroup geodatabases—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

Workgroup geodatabases require ArcGIS Server workgroup licenses and ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap and its related apps). As a result, workgroup geodatabase support ends when ArcGIS Desktop support ends.

You can use workgroup geodatabases with ArcGIS Server sites until that time, but you are encouraged to begin migrating to enterprise geodatabases.

Tip:

See Enterprise geodatabases and ArcGIS Enterprise for information about how the two are used together.

-----------------------

FAQ: Is It Possible to Create a Workgroup Geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro? (esri.com)

I hope this clarifies your question.

For more best practices visit.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Databases Best Practices

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
tbearb
by
New Contributor III

@MarceloMarques thank you for the response. I attached a snapshot of what our keycodes file looks like. Based on that, I am assuming we would need a new license file that includes the capability of enterprise geodatabases? If so, is that something our Esri account manager can assist us with?

***The referenced attachment has been removed by Esri Community Admins for containing information that conflicts with Esri Terms of Service.***

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@tbearb - You will need a new license file, the screenshot that you attached does not contain the license for "arcsde" which allows to create enterprise geodatabases, you will need to reach out to your Esri Account Manager.

NanaDei
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Enterprise Workgroup is being phased out with ArcMap. The ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 release was the last to support the Workgroup license. Please review the following knowledge base article for related information on this topic: https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-apply-a-full-arcgis-enterprise-license-to-arcgi...

As @MarceloMarques mentioned, please reach out to your Account Manager on migrating from ArcGIS Enterprise Workgroup. The bottom section of the above article also sheds light on options for migrating workgroup geodatabases to an enterprise geodatabase.

tbearb
by
New Contributor III

@NanaDei and @MarceloMarques thank you both for the information. I reached out to our Account Manager and support and we are now up and running on an enterprise license.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@tbearb - glad to assist.  : )

0 Kudos