Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial Join with st_geometry

03-10-2023 05:35 PM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I would like to do a spatial join between points and polygons with st_geometry this is what I have come up with:

select sp.OBJECTID, p.parcel_num from servicepoint_evw sp
join parcels p
on (sde.st_intersects(sp.shape, p.shape)) = 1

This does appear to work but it is supper slow... I took over a minute to return one row.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

How big is the dataset?  One thing to check is that you have a spatial index, it is much faster if so.  Maybe the 'disjoint' test is faster.

When was the last time the database was compressed (I'm guessing versioned as you have _evw)?  Is it going to state 1 or 0?  Otherwise the versioned view query is quite expensive to work through - checking on the delta tables and the base table differences.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor
  1. yes, it has a spatial index
  2. yes, we are versioned and no we never get back a low state count and we do have a large number of delta rows. So this could be the issue. (and yes we know this is a problem... I will spare you the details)
  3. I will give disjoint a try

Thanks for the feedback

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Might also be worth testing against the base table rather than evw to confirm this as the likely cause of the inefficiency (appreciate record count would differ however).

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

That is a great idea. I just did it against the base table and it is only 10% faster. So, the versioning is playing a role. But it is not the main issue. 

0 Kudos