Publish & Edit geodatabases

Jump to solution
02-28-2017 07:10 AM
JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

We are setting up an environment to push out from our Edit SDE Geodatabase to a Publish File Geodatabase.  Our plan is to use the Edit SDE Geodatabase with ESRI's Collector App for updates to our GIS.  And to use our Publish File Geodatabase as the warehouse for our GIS to push out REST services.  

At the center of our discussion is the 'how' to move the data from the Edit SDE Geodatabase to the Publish File Geodatabase.  We would like to address the group and collect ideas on what best practice options would be. 

Should we do a check-out replica?  A truncate and append?  Or would there be a way for Publish File Geodatabase to listen for changes to Edit SDE Geodatabase and pick up those changes? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The 1 way replication is one time operation to setup.  Once it's setup, the replica exists between the parent and child geodatabase.  You can have multiple 1 way replicas, though.  For example, I would recommend setting up different 1 way replicas for the different services you are going to publish.  You can then synchronize the replicas as often as you'd like.  You can even setup a python script to automate the synchronization using Windows Task Scheduler.

Scheduling a Python script or model to run at a prescribed time | ArcGIS Blog 

Scheduling a Python script to run at prescribed times—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi John,

I would recommend a 1-way replication from the EDIT SDE Geodatabase to the Publish File Geodatabase.  You can simply execute the synchronize changes tool to sync updates from the SDE to File Geodatabase.

JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

So you are saying do a one time, 1 way replication.  Then run the synchronize changes tool from SDE to File Geodatabase?  

I guess I'm asking how often do I have to do the 1 way replication? 

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

The 1 way replication is one time operation to setup.  Once it's setup, the replica exists between the parent and child geodatabase.  You can have multiple 1 way replicas, though.  For example, I would recommend setting up different 1 way replicas for the different services you are going to publish.  You can then synchronize the replicas as often as you'd like.  You can even setup a python script to automate the synchronization using Windows Task Scheduler.

Scheduling a Python script or model to run at a prescribed time | ArcGIS Blog 

Scheduling a Python script to run at prescribed times—Help | ArcGIS Desktop