Privileges for Oracle users created using Create Database User tool

Jump to solution
03-17-2015 01:46 AM
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

I've created an enterprise geodatabase on Oracle. I can connect to it from ArcCatalog and from SQL Developer using the SDE user.

I've created a new user named GFPTest using the Create Database User tool, choosing the defaults for Role and Tablespace Name.

I can connect to the database in ArcCatalog using the GFPTest user. However, when I connect in SQL Developer using the GFPTest user, I can't see any tables.

Is there something in creating the database user that I've missed?

Thanks,

Jon.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

There was also another user that was complicating our analysis -- I offer this as an aside in case it might help someone else.

We were also using a third-party client to connect to the geodatabase. When using this client to connect as the SDE user, everything worked as expected. However, when using this client to connect as the GFPTest user, an error was generated when the client attempted to list items in the geodatabase. The error indicated that the GDB_ITEMS table couldn't be found.

There are two issues here:

1. The client shouldn't be querying the GDB_ITEMS table directly -- in this case, the client was built on ArcObjects, and there are ArcObjects methods available to query the contents of a workspace.
  2. When constructing a query on an enterprise geodatabase , the table and column names must be qualified properly, using the methods on the ISQLSyntax interface. The SDE user can query the geodatabase system tables without qualification (presumably because it owns them?), so both of the following queries will work when executed as the SDE user:

select * from gdb_items;

select * from sde.gdb_items;

However, when executed as the GFPTest user, only the second query will work. The first query generate an error indicating that the GDB_ITEMS table can't be found.
0 Kudos