Permissions to Validate Topology

10-03-2018 12:00 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Remember the 'Bonnie Situation' in Pulp Fiction?  I have a Topology Situation...

If a user has full permissions / privileges  to the feature dataset in which a topology resides, can that user validate topology?  The topology in question is built on line feature class with 4+ million records.  Rather than build the entire topology which takes 15 hours, I am pushing for individual users to validate and look for errors within a given extent.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I believe that is possible. Now they may want to do that in their user version (if in an EGDB) as to not overwrite another editors updates.

--- George T.
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Currently they do have their own version, which is another situation.  The one redeeming value of this whole thing is each editor (there are 6 or so) have their own assigned areas so the likely hood of any conflicts is small.  In fact, I'm hoping to eliminate those individual versions, and have them edit to an intermediate version (once removed from default).  That way we have less db overhead, and we don't have wait for them to reconcile and post; we can get that done nightly while all the editors are sound asleep....

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I can see that being an issue. The other option is to run the validate over the weekend and have it ready for the editors to edit during the week. They could then work on their AOI's, make updates and then re-validate along the way. Then you can run the validate over the weekends to clear up any areas that have been updated.

That may be less processing time from the point of the editors. Otherwise they are validating, fixing and then validating again.

--- George T.
KevinDunlop
Occasional Contributor III

On the Topology toolbar in ArcMap, there is two helpful buttons for this.

Validate Topology in Specified Area

Validate Topology in Current Extent

The first one, the user draws a box for the area that need to validate.  The second one validates the whole area show in the data frame.  I would use these tools with user versions to handle your situation.  This way you limit the risk of locks and overwriting saves while still minimizing the area validated.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Kevin, yes, I'm aware of those, and that is how we'd like the end users to validate on the fly:  say they cogo in a new sub-division, then check their work.  Find and fix the errors in a smaller spatial area instead of us validating the entire 4.5 million lines over night..... 

0 Kudos