Oracle 18C support

Jump to solution
03-07-2018 09:35 AM
TobiasFimpel
Occasional Contributor

Once oracle 18C is released how long should we expect it to take Esri to list it as a Supported database version? What approximate timeframe is reasonable to plan with? Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

It would have to go through certification and added to the System Requirements page to be certain.

We currently support 12.2.0.1, and Oracle 18c is just12.2.0.2, with a different name because of the new yearly release cycle.

At all 12c versions of Oracle we support either non-container databases or container databases within the pluggable level, meaning no common users   I would assume that unless there are major changes in our software, we will continue to support the 12c architecture (now including 18c) the same way.  As always, double check the system requirements changes before committing production environments to any upgrades.

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.6—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

It would have to go through certification and added to the System Requirements page to be certain.

We currently support 12.2.0.1, and Oracle 18c is just12.2.0.2, with a different name because of the new yearly release cycle.

At all 12c versions of Oracle we support either non-container databases or container databases within the pluggable level, meaning no common users   I would assume that unless there are major changes in our software, we will continue to support the 12c architecture (now including 18c) the same way.  As always, double check the system requirements changes before committing production environments to any upgrades.

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.6—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop 

HMIESupport
New Contributor

Hi,

Has there been any update as to when ArcGIS will support 18c (12.2.0.2) ?

Regards.

0 Kudos
JavierMozo
New Contributor

I've installed arcgis descktop 10.6 and i can't to connect it to a oracle databas 18c:

Failed to connect to database.
Underlying DBMS error [Unknown errorNo extended error.]

I've traced the session in DB and the last query that they do is;

SELECT VALUE FROM SYS.V$PARAMETER WHERE NAME = 'compatible';

VALUE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My version is:

select BANNER_FULL from v$version;

BANNER_FULL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 18c Standard Edition 2 Release 18.0.0.0.0 - Production
Version 18.3.0.0.0

Regards

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the proper Oracle Client installed to make this connection?

0 Kudos
JavierMozo
New Contributor

Yes, client works fine:

sqlplus dni@PREX

SQL*Plus: Release 12.2.0.1.0 Production on Jue Nov 29 12:26:02 2018

Copyright (c) 1982, 2017, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Introduzca la contrase±a:
Hora de ┌ltima Conexi¾n Correcta: MiÚ Nov 28 2018 11:48:36 +01:00

Conectado a:
Oracle Database 18c Standard Edition 2 Release 18.0.0.0.0 - Production

SQL>

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I am not 100% sure, but it may have to do with the versions that ArcGIS Desktop has the connection files for.

For Example; if Oracle 18c was not available before ArcMap 10.6 then it may not have been added to the internal code yet. Especially if we have not started to support that version yet.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RexRobichaux3
New Contributor III

A bit of a shameless plug here... in speaking with our Oracle reps and facing a near organization-wide upgrade to Oracle 18c early next year, I have submitted an ArcGIS Idea for 10.6.x / Oracle 18c (12.2.0.2) certification found here: https://community.esri.com/ideas/15892  and also have an enhancement request created with Esri Support. Feel free to vote away!  

0 Kudos
AshleyNewby1
New Contributor II

Here is the patch that allows support for Oracle 18c at ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1!

ArcGIS (Desktop, Engine, Server) 10.6.1 Support for Oracle 18c Patch