Select to view content in your preferred language

ORA-01455 after upgrading to 10.3

Jump to solution
01-12-2015 08:21 AM
Ulises
by
Frequent Contributor

I just upgraded my desktop to ArcGIS 10.3 and none of my Oracle database connections work.  I can't even figure out how to create new connections.  SQL Server connections work fine.  The error message is "Failed to connect to the specified server.  Do you want to continue? UnderlyingDBMS error[ORA-01455: converting column overflows integer datatype. No extended error.]"

Oracle Database is 11.2.0.3 and existent connections were configured using "sde:oracle11g:<<instance>>" in the instance text box.

Any help is appreciated...

Ulises Feliciano Troche
19 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

The versions that we used to provide where from the Oracle site. We just made it easier to locate and install.

-George

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MiguelGonzález
Occasional Contributor

Nice - this really worked for me. For all who wonder...

1. get the instant client from Oracle's download pages with the exact version of your Oracle-DB

2. extract the compressed file to a folder on the arcsde server

3. Add this folder to the Windows-PATH environmental variable

4. Connect ArcMap or ArcCatalog with the DB (or even - as in my case - create an SDE within the DB)

Thanks again, George!

Cheers,

Simon

RonaldLopez
Deactivated User

I'm running into the same issue, I have both 11g Oracle Client drivers 32 and 64 bit installed and am still getting the same ORA error.  In my PATH sys variable I have 32 listed first, then 64.  I also transposed these and rebooted and still have the same error.  An interesting point is that I also have Desktop 10.3 installed on the server hosting ArcGIS Server and there is no error there connecting to same SDE.  Thoughts besides using Oracle Instant Client?

0 Kudos
RonaldLopez
Deactivated User

Ah, I failed to mention that my SDE is still at 10.1.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Ronald,

Can you connect to the Oracle database in SQLPlus (32 bit version)?

Try uninstalling both the 32 and 64 bit clients, then re-install the 32 bit administrator full client. I have seen where the re-install and configuring of the TNSNAMES corrects the issue.

I would recommend starting with the 32 bit client, then after that is successful add the 64 bit client, if needed.

-George

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RonaldLopez
Deactivated User

Thanks to George, I have a fix to this problem.  Apparently there is a recently found issue with Oracle 10g client and ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 clients which causes the ORA-01455 error, the workaround is to use Oracle 11g client only.

You don't necessarily need to install your 10g drivers, but merely update your system variable PATH to just use the 11g location, or at least have it listed first:

PATH = <driveLetter>:\oracle\ora1120\bin;...

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Frequent Contributor

George: one question

Is it a correct assumption that ArcPRO will need the 64bit client?

I too had the problems listed above but my issue seems a bit different.

I had installed the instant client (unaware of this thread) and could connect to oracle and see what were our SDE databases but when i tried to do any preview in ArcCatalog I would pull errors.  Don't recall exact errors, sorry.

Since we have had problems in the past with the instant client, I did the full install of 32 bit then 64 bit.

We also had an Oracle employee on site a couple of weeks back and he said he always does the full install, just without the database installation.  Apparently instant client is not always so instant or reliable?

But after installing the two full clients I then had the ORA-01455 error.  But 64 bit was first in path at that time.

I moved my paths around to have 32 bit instant client, 32 bit admin client, 64 bit admin client at front of path and now ArcCatalog seems to be working fine.  I did have to create the TNSNames.ora files for both 32 and 64 bit full installs.

This is all on a VMWare box I'm building for testing.

Doing some testing with the PATH:

Removing the 32 bit instant client from the path == ORA-01455 error occurs.

Adding 32 bit instant client back to path and removing the two full admin clients from the path == Oracle connections happen ok and this time, Previews are working.  Note, there is no TNSNAMES file in my instant client (no idea where to put that file in that install)

However, when I went to preview a large road network, ArcCatalog crashed with a fault in ntdll.dll, exception code C0000005

I added the full clients back into the path, connected ok and when I previewed the large road network, it showed the geometry and table just fine.  Just to verify, I again pulled the full clients out of the PATH and verified it crashes ArcCatalog.  This time the crash was different, the esri equivalent of a BSOD, then serious app error where I email info to Esri.

Putting the full admins back into the path, AFTER, the instant client and these test at least works again.

NOTE: this is not very heavy usage of ArcCatalog and doesn't at all make me warm and fuzzy about deploying this in production anywhere in our organization.  I will wait for 10.3.1 before offering it to our users.

Which leads me to conclude, I need both instant client and full admin client installed for ArcCatalog to work properly.  I should try a full install and install the full 11.2.0.1.0 client to see if that makes any difference.

I do note that my admin clients are 11.1.0 but instant client is 11.2.0 which matches our Oracle servers (11.2.0.1.0 actually)

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Frequent Contributor

Update:  adding a Network\Admin path to the ORACLE_HOME path (C:\app\pdavidson\product\11.2.0\client_1 in my installation)  of the instant client install and then putting a TNSNAMES.ORA file into that folder allowed me to get rid of the full admin clients from the path.

More testing underway, such as uninstalling the full admin clients, etc.... 

I strongly suspect how one setups one's environment depends entirely on how you are connecting to Oracle.  I am not an oracle dba.  Our setups seem to have always used TNSnames.ora files.

I have not tried ArcPRO to connect to Oracle yet either.

0 Kudos
MiguelGonzález
Occasional Contributor

Hi Paul,

appreciate your testing! Actually, you may put the tnsnames.ora right in the home path of the instant client without creating further folder structure (at least this worked for me).

Configuring the oracle connections from ArcCatalog or ArcMap is really not that easy and I wonder that - besides of the 32/64 bit issues (I do see these) - it is such important to get THE one and only exact version of the client. Hopefully, this is challenged by esri soon...

I'd like to hear what your final configuration will look like.

Cheers, Simon

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Paul,

Yes, you would need to have the 64-bit client for Pro. I have the 64-bit full client (for SQLPlus) and the 32-bit Instant client. I have not seen any issues with this configuration in using ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS 10.2.x/10.3. The 64-bit is first in my path variable as I have ArcGIS Server installed on the same machine.

Here is the link of the ArcGIS Pro connections to supported enterprise geodatabases

One thing that I noticed in your post is that you are using the Oracle 11.1.0 full client. I would recommend that you use at least the full (admin) client that matches your database version (i.e. 11.2.0.1). I would test with the correct client version of the full clients and see if the crash behavior is present. If the crash still occurs, I would create a case with Esri Technical Support​ so we can investigate the crashing (this should not happen).

I have been using the Instant clients for well over 18 months with no issues.

As for Oracle recommending the full client install, I could see this as being beneficial as there is more functionality built into it than with the instant client, so no argument there. This really comes down to the preference of your organization and your DBA's.

I look forward to the results of your testing with the newer 11.2.0.1 or newer client.

-George

Managing DataArcGIS-Pro

--- George T.