Multi-User Geodatabase Implementation

10-10-2019 05:58 AM
OmasanAkporiaye2
New Contributor

I'm looking to implement multi-user geodatabases in my organisation.  The IT infrastructure/network is managed by a different department and they have no knowledge of geospatial technologies.  This means the RDBMS will be managed by the IT department.  Are there any SOP's I can send their way to help them understand what it is I'm trying to implement?  They don't speak 'GIS' and I don't speak 'IT'.  Thanks!!

Omasan.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

All you would have to do is create a Enterprise Geodatabase on a support RDBMS platform and version; 

SQL Server info (other RDBMS pages on the left hand side) - Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.7.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.4—System Requirements ... 

Create an Oracle geodatabase (this can be done for any supported RDBMS, see above) - Create a geodatabase in Oracle—Geodatabases in Oracle | ArcGIS Desktop 

What is the RDBMS that will be used and are there any specific questions about the implementation?

Here is a starting point for them to look at then dive deeper into the details of their specific RDBMS - Geodatabase administration—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
CraigSwadner
Occasional Contributor

You may want to have a meeting with everyone involved to determine your needs. One database may not be enough, in our environment we have a RO database for users / public to view and a RW database for users to edit. The edits are then synced every hour to the RO database. Every scenario requires different maintenance.

Craig Swadner (GIS Coordinator)

City of Cape Coral

1015 Cultural Park Blvd.

Cape Coral, Fl 33990

Did you know the best way to report issues to ITS is to use the Service Desk system? This will ensure someone in ITS gets your request and allows us to track the progress. Please enter all your issues and/or questions by clicking https://breeze.cape.capecoral.net

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hello Omasan,

Just send your IT shop the white papers on versioning (and branch versioning), compress to state zero, clearing geoprocessing history, etc.

Then they'll be happy to create a new SQL Server instance and an empty database for you.

And they'll let you own and manage that enterprise geodatabase.

That will allow them to manage Windows updates & SQL Server backups and you get to handle the GIS side.

Coordinate AD security and you are good to go.

-Bill