Migrate on-prem PostgreSQL to Azure db for PostgreSQL (DBaaS)

11-22-2022 12:26 PM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

Existing on-prem server:

• Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS
  • PostgreSQL 11.12
  • Contains ~90 SDE Geodatabases; total size ~500GB
  • ST_GEOMETRY is used

All ArcGIS Enterprise components are getting moved to Azure VMs, workstations will be Azure Virtual Desktops and we want to deploy Azure database for PostgreSQL (database-as-a-service).

Since ST_GEOMETRY cannot be enabled on databases in the cloud can anyone provide instructions for converting the existing ST_GEOMETRY spatial types to POSTGIS?

thanks.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@danbecker - you will still have to republish the services because the services were created with geodatabase connection files that point to the old server that info gets stored with the service, and in the ArcGIS Server > Sites > Data Store the Geodatabases connection Info also point to the old server, unfortunately is not possible to change the connection information in the services nor in the data stores, so you will need to republish the services, this is the best migration option anyways, because is a good idea to republish the services using ArcGIS Pro to take advanced of the new ArcGIS Server Service engine for Pro. I hope you are aware of this.
https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.9.1/get-started/windows/what-s-new-in-arcgis-for-server.h...

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 will be the last release to support ArcMap based services. After this release, it will no longer be possible to publish or consume services from ArcMap (including ArcPy based in ArcMap) in ArcGIS Server sites. (read more in the link above)

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the help. Yes, we're aware of the ArcMap services, and are staying at 10.9.1 during the migration. I figured it was best to not upgrade versions in the middle of the lift-and-shift to Azure.

How about we deploy an Azure VM for PostgreSQL, replicating our on-premise environment. We can deploy it as newdb.ourdoamin.com, migrate the db's, then, when we edit the external DNS record to point traffic to Azure, disjoin currentdb.ourdomain.com from AD, then rename the Azure equivalent?

We can then casually start using Azure hosted PostGresql, and eventually re-publish all services pointing to the hosted instance and shut down the Azure PostgreSQL VM. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@danbecker - that might work as long as the PG server "dns computer object name alias" and PG port number in the Geodatabase Connection Files used to publish the ArcGIS Server Services do not change then the services will not break. That is exactly what I do for on premises migrations as well. But I suggest you do a dry run test (prototype) of the migration first, to make sure everything will work as you expect, and to catch any issues and learn how to fix them.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos