Manually updating a versioned SDE Geodatabase?

04-07-2017 04:29 AM
CharlieDoherty
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help. We have a versioned SDE Geodatabase in Oracle which stores information on Trees.

Currently when collecting / editing records the users choose a Common Name for the tree, we are looking to automatically update the Latin Name depending on what is selected in the Common Name field.

I was thinking of using a trigger but as the table is versioned I believe this isn't recommended. We do have FME which we could use to update the values but again as manually using SQL / Triggers isn't recommended I want to ensure we are going through the correct processes.

I don't mind if the values are say scheduled to update nightly rather than using a trigger but if anyone could recommend the best way to go forward with this that would be great?

FME would work for us but I'm not sure if FME will deal with the versioning correctly.

Thanks,

Charlie

0 Kudos
2 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Here is some help links to what you may be able to do. I would look into using the versioned view to edit via SQL.

What type of data can be edited using SQL?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

What is a versioned view?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

To follow up with George's reply above- custom triggers are not recommended or supported on versioned data due to the chance of data corruption. Also, as George mentioned, any edits not performed through an ArcGIS client will need to be made through the versioned view of the feature class. More on using SQL to edit versioned data in Oracle can be found here: Edit versioned data in Oracle using SQL—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

One other option that is worth mentioning (depending on what version of ArcGIS Desktop you are at) would be to utilize the Attribute Assistant Add-in application which can perform automatic updates on related or specified data: Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions 

local-government-desktop-addins/Attribute Assistant Add In/AttributeAssistantAddIn at master · Esri/... 

I hope this is helpful for you!

Best,

Rex R