Select to view content in your preferred language

Lock files issue /Arc Pro dataset

12-07-2022 01:23 PM
Ivbolen
New Contributor II

I was trying to find the answer to my Lock files issues, but what I found was from 6 years ago with a different environment from ours.

We have a stand-alone parcel database with two feature datasets. This GDB is maintained by another editor. I only open it when I need to look up some references on the properties or help with some technical issues.

When I open the DB while my colleague has it already opened on her end, there is one layer that I always Lock (with read-only permissions), and we cannot figure out why.

My colleague could be in the middle of editing it (annotation layer), and because I barged in, she's unable to save her edits afterward. It never happens to any other layer but this annotation one.

We tested everything. When I open the project, all the layers locks pop up, but eventually, they go away after the project is fully loaded. All but annotation, and it sits locked until I close the project or inactive for a while. But even if I work on other layers, I still Lock annotation, and not the actual files I use. 

EX: I use Locate tool Layer Search (parcel layer) to zoom into the property, and the annotation lock pops right the way.

Everything says that the files are locked while in use (edited). With the read-only permission in the project, I am confused as to how that is possible.

Can anyone navigate me to where I can check why I am holding the lock?  

p/s - we never have any issues like that within the project with other layers or any other projects.

Appreciate you help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

I cant say I know what the issue is here - but I am presuming you are talking about a file geodatabase, not an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server or Oracle or PostgreSQL
the better forum to ask this question within would be the https://community.esri.com/t5/geodatabase-questions/bd-p/geodatabase-questions 

0 Kudos
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Thanks for the question, @Ivbolen, and for identifying a better suited location for this post, @DavidHoy. I've moved the post from Community Feedback to Geodatabase Questions, where it's more likely to be seen and responded to by members who have related experience. All the best!

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content
0 Kudos
Ivbolen
New Contributor II

Thanks, Jesse.

0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Regular Contributor

Is it possible the annotation is feature linked to some data in the DGB? And what is "DGB"...distributed geodatabase?

0 Kudos
Ivbolen
New Contributor II

that's what it sounds like, but I checked nothing is linked to anything.

sorry, GDB 🙂 

0 Kudos