Limitations when Geodatabase Admin User (SDE) power not granted to GIS Administrator

Jump to solution
12-19-2016 04:08 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All, 

I am employed as GIS Administrator here in our Local Government office.

Recently our permissions within the server have been reviewed and due to company policy the "Processadmin" role and the "CREATE FUNCTION", "CREATE PROCEDURE", "CREATE TABLE", and "CREATE VIEW" permissions also removed as it is a company security risk.

I have been asked to provide reasoning as to why I should have these permissions. 

The only thing I can think of is for disconnecting users, are there other reasons I am not thinking of?

The majority of my work is being done as the Data Owner, this has been unaffected and still works fine.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check-out the privileges required for Enterprise Geodatabases, as per your need, especially if you want to create/maintain geodatabases in SDE schema.

Privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Privileges for geodatabases in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check-out the privileges required for Enterprise Geodatabases, as per your need, especially if you want to create/maintain geodatabases in SDE schema.

Privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Privileges for geodatabases in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Just in case it helps others...the need for the Processadmin server role is mentioned in the link below:

Manage connections in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Ben  As you have already realized, the 'processadmin' server role helps you to manage connections. So if you don't need to do that, you are fine without it.

However, you mentioned that majority of your work is as Data Owner, so the other 4 Permissions ("CREATE FUNCTION", "CREATE PROCEDURE", "CREATE TABLE", and "CREATE VIEW" permissions) are required. Not to manage existing data, but to load\create new data in future if needed.