Is there a product life Cycle for Enterprise Geodatabases?

Jump to solution
04-14-2023 07:57 AM
AbeDowner
New Contributor

I am currently planning a roadmap for future software upgrades for our organization. I have found the documentation for product life cycles for ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Server, Desktop, Pro, etc. using the following documentation 

https://supportuat.esri.com/en/Products/Enterprise/arcgis-server/ArcGIS-Server/10-8-1#product-suppor...

However, I cannot find anything for the Enterprise Geodatabase. In the past I have always kept ArcGIS Server and the Enterprise Geodatabase version the same but, I can't seem to find anything that points to version dependency between an Enterprise Geodatabase and other products. 

We are currently on 10.8.1, but some datasets may not be ready to upgrade to the next Enterprise Geodatabase version by the mature support timeline for Server or Enterprise (+/- August 2024), such as Geometric Network. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@AbeDowner - please follow the information on this link.

ArcGIS Pro  / ArcGIS Enterprise / ArcGIS Desktop: ArcMap & ArcCatalog

covers several Geodatabase Releases and points to version dependency between an Enterprise Geodatabase and other ArcGIS products. 

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

Best Practice - the recommendation is to keep the Enterprise Geodatabase ArcSDE Repository Version at the same version as your ArcGIS Enterprise / ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Desktop: ArcMap & ArcCatalog.

Other useful links

ArcGIS Pro

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

ArcGIS Desktop ArcMap/ArcCatalog

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

It might be useful this esri community discussion that I provided answers.

Re: How long does it take Esri to support a new Or... - Esri Community

I hope this clarifies your question.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@AbeDowner - please follow the information on this link.

ArcGIS Pro  / ArcGIS Enterprise / ArcGIS Desktop: ArcMap & ArcCatalog

covers several Geodatabase Releases and points to version dependency between an Enterprise Geodatabase and other ArcGIS products. 

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

Best Practice - the recommendation is to keep the Enterprise Geodatabase ArcSDE Repository Version at the same version as your ArcGIS Enterprise / ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Desktop: ArcMap & ArcCatalog.

Other useful links

ArcGIS Pro

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

ArcGIS Desktop ArcMap/ArcCatalog

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

It might be useful this esri community discussion that I provided answers.

Re: How long does it take Esri to support a new Or... - Esri Community

I hope this clarifies your question.

AbeDowner
New Contributor

Thank you @MarceloMarques . This is what I was looking for. 

However, I am still confused about how the equivalent ArcGIS Pro version for 10.8.1 is 2.6. According to the product life cycle documentation for ArcGIS Server, 10.8.1 enters mature support Mar 2024 while ArcGIS Pro 2.6 (the equivalent release) enters mature support Jun 2022?

I'm not sure how to reconcile these differences if the equivalent ArcGIS Pro version does not have the same life span as ArcMap. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@AbeDowner - this is expected because ArcMap 10.8.x will be deprecated and users need to move to ArcGIS Pro, also ArcGIS Server 10.8.x marks the end of the ArcMap runtime engine in ArcGIS Server, therefore users need to move to ArcGIS Server 11.x and republish ArcGIS Server services using ArcGIS Pro because of the new Pro runtime engine in ArcGIS Server 11.x.

You can read more here.

Deprecation: Removal of ArcMap-Based Runtime from ArcGIS Enterprise (esri.com)

I hope this clarifies.

0 Kudos