How to set up unique identifier based on text field (NOT GLOBAL ID)?

Jump to solution
03-19-2021 02:31 PM
Labels (2)
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1 and sde.

I have a question. I need to set up a unique identifier on text field to avoid repeat. For example, a staff entry an address information 1234 NW 103 AVE UNIT 123. I am unable to find enough information. I found a piece of information from ArcGIS documentation. please let me know what step by step is.

"If a single string field is used as the unique identifier, ArcGIS must map those unique values to an integer. This is done in ArcGIS anytime the system needs an Object ID attribute, such as when creating a map selection or opening the attribute table. ArcGIS adds an attribute called ESRI_OID and stores a unique integer value in it. This attribute is only part of the layer definition; the underlying database table is not altered."

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Eduardo_Fernandez_EsriAu
New Contributor II

Hello Alex

By default, all enterprise geodatabase artifacts will have a object ID field (of object id type) inserted ( essentially a row id). It is always an integer. 

To set up a unique identifier on a text field in a feature class or table, try adding an attribute index (Properties > Index > ). You can set the index to be unique. When end user enters an address and it exists already in the field. an error message should appear.

Cheers Ed

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Eduardo_Fernandez_EsriAu
New Contributor II

Hello Alex

By default, all enterprise geodatabase artifacts will have a object ID field (of object id type) inserted ( essentially a row id). It is always an integer. 

To set up a unique identifier on a text field in a feature class or table, try adding an attribute index (Properties > Index > ). You can set the index to be unique. When end user enters an address and it exists already in the field. an error message should appear.

Cheers Ed