How to Keep data synced between file GeoDatabase & ArcGIS Enterprise?

09-22-2020 11:47 AM
CarrieQuast
New Contributor II

Hello everyone - I'm sure there is an easy way to do this, but googling the problem isn't finding a solution.

I'm new to ArcGIS Enterprise, and I need to keep a parcel dataset synced between my GIS folder on a file server, and a ArcGIS Enterprise Server.

I was hoping there was a simple script I could attach to task scheduler that runs nightly, but I'm not finding anything. 

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hopefully somebody in the Managing Data‌ or ArcGIS Enterprise‌ will be able to help!

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

how large set are we talking? Synched as they are replicas of each other? Are you happy with a lift and shift or do you want change-only updates? Do you have FME?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

How is your parcel data being consumed by ArcGIS Enterprise: file geodatabase, Enterprise geodatabase, hosted data, etc.?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
CarrieQuast
New Contributor II

I share the data out of ArcGIS Pro as a hosted feature layer.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ok, so you need a way to update the hosted feature layer.

It could be done via Python scripting. I do not have an example per se, but here is some doc:

Manage hosted feature layers—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Updating features in a feature layer | ArcGIS for Developers 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
George_Thompson

To add additional thoughts:

What about moving the Parcels to an Enterprise geodatabase and publishing the service from that location?

That would allow a single location for update and publishing of data. Then you control what is available via the service with your Reconcile / Posting workflow.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
NicolaiChristensen
New Contributor

If you set up a replica database you do just that.

Read more here: Replicas and geodatabases—ArcMap | Documentation 

0 Kudos
CarrieQuast
New Contributor II

Hey Thank you Nicolai, and George -

Looks like I'm going to have to talk to my network guy and have him set me up another server.  Do you have any pointers for setting up an Enterprise Geodatabase? 

Most cost effectiveness would probably be a linux box, running postgreSQL? It looks like instructions are out there, so it should be fairly easy to set it up. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

My suggestion is to use the RDBMS you or someone within your IT organization is most familiar with. There will be some time needed to be the geodatabase administrator and perform some tasks.

--- George T.
0 Kudos