How to create a historical report from Editor Tracker of changes made to a shapefile over time

07-30-2018 09:41 PM
RyanPettit2
New Contributor II

Does anyone know how to create, or if its possible to create, a report showing the history of edits/changes to a shapefile that has editor tracker enabled?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KevinDunlop
Occasional Contributor III

With Editor Tracking, only the last edit is timestamped.  So you can find out when everything was last edited but you will not be able to see older edits.

What you need to look into is Archiving.  Archiving keeps a historic record of all edits and you can do reports on that edit histories.  

RyanPettit2
New Contributor II

Thanks!  

0 Kudos
RyanPettit2
New Contributor II

Ok, I am back to square one.  I cannot get the Archiving feature activated.  I have an Advanced License but I keep getting a code "001542: This dataset type is not supported by archiving".  I have attempted to enable archiving on a regular dataset, one that is in a geodatabase and one that is in a feature dataset to no avail.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are trying to enable Archiving on a Shapefile...that is not supported.

Even Editor Tracking is not supported on a Shapefile. So that leads to the question...are you working with a Shapefile or a Feature Class?

RyanPettit2
New Contributor II

I've tried to enable it on a shapefile and feature class.

0 Kudos
KevinDunlop
Occasional Contributor III

According to help it requires a Standard license.  But the feature class needs to be in a enterprise geodatabase (SDE).  File and Personal geodatabases do not support archiving.

Enabling archiving—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

RyanPettit2
New Contributor II

That is what I was afraid of.  

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos