How to add a new code value to existing domain?

02-28-2018 12:56 PM
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

How to add a new code value to existing domain? 

ArcGIS Desktop/Enterpise 10.5.1

I tried to add a new code value to a existing domain for a existing field. So I republished to a map server. It hasn't update a new code value in existing domain on a existing field. Please advise! thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Alex, 

Out of curiosity- do subtypes exist on any of the feature classes upon which this coded value domain would be applied? If so- ensure you are updating the domain through the subtypes tab of the feature class. 

Does the new coded value for the domain show up in an ArcMap document when doing a test attribute edit? In other words, is it only missing from the published service and not the underlying geodatabase data? Finally- is the map service just a map service (only capability) published only through ArcGIS Server or is this a feature service / hosted feature service? Thanks!

Modifying and deleting attribute domains—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

If the service is a hosted feature service check:

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/files/2014/10/How-to-Update-Hosted-Feature-Service-Schemas1.pdf 

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

I am using SDE database feature class = SQL server. 

See screenshot of existing domain. After row "bad", I tried to add "dead" then clicked ok. It shows on existing field drop list in ArcMap attribute table.

So when I tried to respublish it to feature service, it doesn't show up new code value in existing field attribute table.  It doesn't show on the web map or app. Please advise.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

What Rex Says,

Important.  Double check that if items are subtyped that the domain is set for reach subtype.

You may need to republish your service to get the new domain to take

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

It hasn't update a new code value in existing domain on a existing field.

How do you know that it hasn't update ?

Did you check domain inside geo-database properties, attribute table or the templates of editing ..?

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

I am using SDE database feature class = SQL server. 

See screenshot of existing domain. After row "bad", I tried to add "dead" then clicked ok. It shows on existing field drop list in ArcMap attribute table. So when I tried to respublish it to feature service, it doesn't show up new code value in existing field attribute table. 

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

So when I tried to respublish it to feature service, it doesn't show up new code value in existing field attribute table.  It doesn't show on the web map or app. Please advise.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Double check that the feature class that you updated the domain for is the same one that is being published.

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

It is the same feature class and same one that is being published. See screenshots in order.

0 Kudos
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Alex, thanks for posting those screenshots. Is the web app consuming the published map service or the published feature service as it appears you are publishing both? Also- for the feature class in question can you post a screenshot of the feature class field (condition field) properties in ArcCatalog (right click < Properties < Fields < Click the Condition field) as in the example below. I want to confirm the proper domain is mapped to the proper field:

Thanks!