GLOBAL_ID

07-27-2020 04:56 AM
thainamota
New Contributor III

Hi,

please all inputs and feedbacks will be appreciate....

I have a layer in a geodatabase that I need a unique ID field (for joining)Its a building feature, in continuous update. Also, I have an table where i save, for each building, one or more links that will open in a webapp one or more documents for each construction.

So, I have two problems:

1. create an autoincrement field when new feature is added or modified . For this, maybe a can use a Global_Id.

However is too long;

2. modify at the same time feature table and linked table(table joined). Because i need to give for each construction one or more documents.

an attached a video

thanks a lot !

thaina

#globalid#topographic#buildings#autoincrement id#autoincrement editing arcgis desktop#joined tables‌ 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

This is a topic that gets bantered around fairly often.  My personal use of Global IDs is only for replication.  They are a property of the geodatabase so like object ids, we don't have control over them. So if you copy your data with Global IDs to another geodatabase, those values get recalculated and if you are using them for a relationship key, things go bad for you.  You can preserve global ids, but again, I don't use them for anything but replication.  See:  Preserve Global IDs (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

That said, with geodatabase sequences, you can create a sequence and populate unique ids as you add records through a fairly simple attribute rule.  I think they are one of the coolest improvements to ArcGIS in a long time.

See Create Database Sequence (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and Attribute rule script expression examples—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

That should just about do it....
thainamota
New Contributor III

Hi Joe,

thanks a lot for your reply... Maybe for the next week my company will give me an advanced ArcGis Pro. I'm trying to understand if geodatabase administration toolset is included into advanced licence.

thanks

Thai

0 Kudos