Select to view content in your preferred language

Geodatabase version inconsistency

Jump to solution
03-06-2024 02:29 PM
anbinh
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Community,

I recently have upgraded few enterprise geodatabases for a client using ArcGIS Pro 3.2 (with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1).

After my upgrade, I can see that "This ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0-11.2.0.49743 geodatabase is up to date" in the database properties. The same applies to all of the 4 geodatabases I upgraded via SDE user connection. 

However, when my clients connect with the same databases in their ArcGIS Pro 2.9, all the geodatabases version weirdly appear to be "This 10.0 geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using, however, database internals such as stored procedures can be upgraded." 

I would expect the geodatabase version should be the same regardless of which version of ArcGIS Pro we use. What makes it more weird is that those geodatabases were at version "10.5.1" before the upgrade, but somehow they appear to be "10.0" on my client side now. 

Anyone know if this is an expected behavior? Is there anyway to solve the problem?

Regards,

Anbin

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@anbinh 

• there are many changes in Pro 3.2 that Pro 2.9 cannot recognize
  • Pro 2.9 is old and cannot work with a geodatabase arcsde repository upgraded with Pro 3.2
  • a new version of Pro can connect and work with a geodatabase arcsde repository that is in a lower version
  • but an old version of Pro might find problems to connect and/or work with a geodatabase arcsde repository that was upgraded with a new version of Pro
  • therefore, users running Pro 2.9 will have to upgrade to Pro 3.2 to avoid unexpected behavior while accessing a geodatabase arcsde repository that was upgraded with Pro 3.2
  • read more below.

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

MarceloMarques_0-1709766716785.png

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @anbinh ,

Not that it should make a difference, but is the same version shown if we connect as the SDE user in Pro 2.9?

Marlon

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@anbinh 

• there are many changes in Pro 3.2 that Pro 2.9 cannot recognize
  • Pro 2.9 is old and cannot work with a geodatabase arcsde repository upgraded with Pro 3.2
  • a new version of Pro can connect and work with a geodatabase arcsde repository that is in a lower version
  • but an old version of Pro might find problems to connect and/or work with a geodatabase arcsde repository that was upgraded with a new version of Pro
  • therefore, users running Pro 2.9 will have to upgrade to Pro 3.2 to avoid unexpected behavior while accessing a geodatabase arcsde repository that was upgraded with Pro 3.2
  • read more below.

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

MarceloMarques_0-1709766716785.png

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
anbinh
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all,

I confirmed with client that the version written in SDE_Version table has been upgraded to 11.2.

Thanks to Marcelo's screenshot, it is very likely due to their older version of ArcGIS Pro that they are seeing the wrong message. The documentation says "geodatabases and client software are designed to work together, and if you let one get too many releases away from the other, you risk encountering problems or unexpected behavior."

In my case, I will suggest client to upgrade their ArcGIS Pro to be able to see the right message. 

0 Kudos