Geodatabase Upgrade ST_Geometry Libraries and ArcSDE Service

Jump to solution
01-11-2017 02:00 PM
Manuel_RRegalado
New Contributor II

We are upgrading our geodatabase to 10.3.1 from 10.2.  We are running Oracle 11.2.0.3 on IBM AIX 7.1.  I have a couple of questions.

1. Now that ArcSDE application server is no longer available for Oracle is it recommended that we remove this component from the server?

2. The upgrade procedures, steps 7 and 8, say to copy over the libraries to enable the ST_Geometry and ST_Raster functions to the server and configure the Oracle extproc to point to the folder where the libraries are placed.  We have done this but how do I check to verify Oracle is now looking at the most current version that we just copied over?  The file names are exactly the same but the file sizes are slightly different.

Here is the link containing the upgrade procedures.

Upgrade a geodatabase in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS for...

Thank you,
Manuel Regalado
Los Angeles County DPW

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

1. I would say yes, if you are not going to use it anymore . Move all your client to direct connect: Connect to Oracle from ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

2. You could remove the older libraries and replace them with the new ones. I would review this documentation first: Configure the Oracle extproc to access the geodatabase with SQL—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Only follow the Oracle 11g and 12c section, do NOT modify the listener and tnsnames. 

You run a checksum on both .so files and verify that the one on the Oracle machine is the same as the one from the 10.3.1 install folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3.x\DatabaseSupport\Oracle\IBMAIX64

As a side note I would review this documentation on using Oracle 11.2.0.3: FAQ: Issues related to Oracle 11.2.0.3 

Hope this helps!

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/enterprise-gis?sr=search&searchId=21b13790-5179-44ff-b85e-0...

--- George T.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
George_Thompson

1. I would say yes, if you are not going to use it anymore . Move all your client to direct connect: Connect to Oracle from ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

2. You could remove the older libraries and replace them with the new ones. I would review this documentation first: Configure the Oracle extproc to access the geodatabase with SQL—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Only follow the Oracle 11g and 12c section, do NOT modify the listener and tnsnames. 

You run a checksum on both .so files and verify that the one on the Oracle machine is the same as the one from the 10.3.1 install folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3.x\DatabaseSupport\Oracle\IBMAIX64

As a side note I would review this documentation on using Oracle 11.2.0.3: FAQ: Issues related to Oracle 11.2.0.3 

Hope this helps!

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/enterprise-gis?sr=search&searchId=21b13790-5179-44ff-b85e-0...

--- George T.
Manuel_RRegalado
New Contributor II

Hi George,

1. Thanks, this sounds good to me!

2. Checking the file difference.  It would be cool if we could just run a command that would output the version but this sounds good too.

OK I ran the cksum for the Shapelib and Raster and they are clearly different.  

Shape Library

/emc02/gisapps/sdeexe102/lib gist > cksum libst_shapelib.so
3801246941 12473072 libst_shapelib.so

/emc02/gisapps/sdeexe102/lib gist > cksum libst_shapelib.so.bak
1534200779 12315010 libst_shapelib.so.bak

Raster Library

/emc02/gisapps/sdeexe102/lib gist > cksum libst_raster_ora.so
1151397453 13043210 libst_raster_ora.so
/emc02/gisapps/sdeexe102/lib gist > cksum libst_raster_ora.so.bak
1756219263 12891306 libst_raster_ora.so.bak

I made multiple copies of the original (bak2, bak3, etc.) and ran the cksum on those and the results were identical to the *.bak copies.  This helps a lot because we were just looking at the file size before and the Raster libraries were the exact same size!

Thanks again for the insight and suggestion!  This is my first time posting and I am experiencing how helpful the community is in only an hour.  Very cool.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

You are welcome, the quick response happens at times. I just happen to see that post not too long after you posted.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Manuel_RRegalado
New Contributor II

I forgot to say thanks for the links and especially the FAQ from Oracle.  I was not aware.

0 Kudos