Geodatabase contents cannot have metadata

10-02-2020 07:36 PM
BrennaLHughes
New Contributor II

I received a copy of a file geodatabase from an agency we are collaborating with. ArcGIS Pro (2.6.2) opens and displays the layers, but none of the feature classes or tables show metadata. Instead, I get a message that says "This item cannot have metadata." Viewing the GDB in other software shows blank metadata, but I can't even see it to complete it in Pro. That feels different than just blank...?

The only two references to the reported message I've found are here:

Release notes for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation (2.1 Known Issues re: GDB Metadata. "When you are not signed in to the active portal but you are using it to work with public items, you cannot not view metadata for those items. The error message "This item cannot have metadata" will appear in the Details panel instead. Sign in to the active portal to see the item's metadata.") and here;

WCS connection to Mosaic "cannot have metadata" 

Neither speaks directly to my situation, since this is a self-contained, locally-stored GDB, but it makes me wonder if there's some sort of rights problem when Pro views the GDB? I'm not familiar enough with the guts of a file GDB to speculate beyond that. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brenna

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JimmyKnowles
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Brenna,

I just encountered this error for the first time. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

The only thing I might be able to add is that the fgdb that I received was from somebody using a Mac. Not sure if that has anything to do with the issue, but figured I'd mention it.

Thanks,

Jimmy

0 Kudos