Feature Dataset within Feature Dataset

Jump to solution
02-08-2022 07:40 AM
Labels (2)
ZJKosel
New Contributor III

I'm looking to move multiple sets of layers within a Geodatabase to a Feature Dataset. I was curious if it was possible to further organize this Feature Dataset by dividing it into other Datasets (Boundaries, Transportation, Elevation, etc.). However, when right-clicking on a Feature Dataset and selecting "new", there isn't an option to create a second Feature Dataset within the existing one. Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,

ZJK

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You cannot create feature datasets within another feature datasets.

You need to create multiple Geodatabases, each containing multiple datasets. These datasets can contain multiple feature classes within them.

You need to manage it using the following breakup based on your business requirement.

Geodatabase > Feature Dataset > Feature Class

Think Location

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You cannot create feature datasets within another feature datasets.

You need to create multiple Geodatabases, each containing multiple datasets. These datasets can contain multiple feature classes within them.

You need to manage it using the following breakup based on your business requirement.

Geodatabase > Feature Dataset > Feature Class

Think Location
ZJKosel
New Contributor III

Thanks for the clarification!

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

make sure the parent/child security of datasets will work as you intend it to

yockee
by
Occasional Contributor II

Feature Dataset is not meant for organizing data like Folder and Sub-folder behavior. Their primary purpose is for organizing related feature classes into a common dataset for building a topology, a network dataset, a terrain dataset, or a geometric network. Also, having a lot of FD will generate traffic inside your EGDB.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I came here to ask do you really need feature datasets, or just multiple geodatabases with feature classes? Yockee, thankfully, has outlined the purpose of feature datasets. I would like to add to this, creating feature datasets creates locks. Use them only if you really need them for the purpose they are designed for. 

Kevin_MacLeod
New Contributor III

True. But I think many agencies do not realize their lock issues stem from this and use FDs like folders.  (as well as for networks or topo)  Which, kind of makes sense. Connecting to a bunch of GDBs would be annoying especially in Pro. Many agencies have dozens of FDs as 'folders'.  If Esri created the concept of 'folders' and 'sub folders' in EGDB SDE RDBMSs that would be fantastic.  With the power of SQL should be possible create so to the user it will look and act like a file system. It would also enable storing and organizing Views by 'folder' too.