Feature Classes becoming File Geodatabase Tables

Jump to solution
03-04-2020 07:59 AM
EricDaechsel1
New Contributor

I have been digitizing features and organizing them into feature classes for the past month. The last time I worked with them was on Monday, but now a couple days later on Wednesday, a large portion of them have turned into file geodatabase tables. Has anyone had this issue before? This happened once when I exported a single layer from an MXD into a new geodatabase, and my co-worker mentioned that it showed up as a file geodatabase table on their computer. This time, I'm using their computer (the past month I had been working with the feature classes on my own computer) and I'm running into the issue on a much larger scale. I don't want to re-create these features, as it took me tens of hours the first time. It looks like something on their computer (we're using the same version of Arc) is the cause of this, but I can't figure out what it is, why only some of the feature classes have become file geodatabase tables, or how to turn them back into feature classes.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinWerle1
Esri Contributor

Hi Eric,
Does the Shape column still exist table? You can verify by right clicking on the table/feature > Properties > Fields.
Additionally, have you ran the Check Geometry tool for the features in your file geodatabase? If geometry issues do exist, this tool will generate a report of the geometry problems. You could then run the Repair Geometry tool, but its typically best practice to have a backup copy of the geodatabase to be safe. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColinWerle1
Esri Contributor

Hi Eric,
Does the Shape column still exist table? You can verify by right clicking on the table/feature > Properties > Fields.
Additionally, have you ran the Check Geometry tool for the features in your file geodatabase? If geometry issues do exist, this tool will generate a report of the geometry problems. You could then run the Repair Geometry tool, but its typically best practice to have a backup copy of the geodatabase to be safe. 

EricDaechsel1
New Contributor

Hi Colin,

Yes, the Shape column still exists. 

I ran the Check Geometry tool, but got a blank table from it the couple times I tried it out. I then ran Repair Geometry, and that worked for individual feature classes. I've used the Recover File Geodatabase tool, since the feature classes were in a few separate geodatabases, and that's worked for me (I just have to re-create the feature datasets, since they don't get recovered). 

Thanks for your help and for pointing me in the right direction. This is a good cautionary tale to make sure I backup my data from now on.