Error connecting to Workgroup Geodatabase

Jump to solution
10-12-2015 12:10 AM
HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to connect to a Workgroup Geodatabase, when trying to exploring this geodatabase I get an error that says: “Failed to connect to database. Maximum Number of connections to instance is reached”. However, only three users are connecting to this geodatabase which is less than the TEN allowed users.

What might be the issue here?

Thank you and Best Regards,

Clip_3.jpg

0 Kudos
16 Replies
NICOLAPEDDIS

George, you're right, but as far i know SQL server express editon cannot store sde workgroup multiuse[you are allowed to use only three simultaneous desktop users] databases, and you can use only the personal edition of arcsde

To use a workgroup geodatabas with 10 and more users you need the professional or the enterprise edition of SQL server, and of couse an arcsde workgroup authorization file.

0 Kudos
QuinnFrancis
New Contributor III

Hi Nicola,

SQL Server Express supports both Desktop and Workgroup geodatabases.

Create a desktop or workgroup geodatabase—Database Server (Desktop) installation guide | ArcGIS for ...

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Nicola,

You can use SQL Server Express for Workgroup geodatabases, this is what Workgroup geodatabases (multiuser) are designed for an supported on. These are the same as Enterprise Geodatabases on SQL Server, Oracle, etc.... The differences are related to the limitations on the number of connections allowed (an Esri limit of 10 for Workgroup licensing and 3 for Desktop licensing) and then the limits that Microsoft puts on the SQL Server Express installation:

Microsoft limits the use of SQL Server Express to one CPU (or core within a socket) and 1GB of RAM. The maximum database size for SQL Server 2005 or 2008 Express is limited to 4GB. The maximum database size for SQL Server 2008 Express R2 is 10GB. (Consult your Esri license agreement for specific information on the instance size limitations for your implementation.)

Types of geodatabases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Using Workgroup authorization/licensing on SQL Server Standard/Enterpise is not supported for creation of Enterprise Geodatabases.

Here are some other similar post on GeoNet with more information:

Can you install ArcGIS for Server Advanced Enterprise on SQL Server Express

How to configure existing SQL Server Express database for use with ArcGIS for Server Enterprise

ArcSDE for SQL server express

Hope this help with the confusion.....

-George

--- George T.
NICOLAPEDDIS

Thanks George, now i got the exact point by reading the posts in the other topics.

Sorry for my confusion

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

No worries, I am glad that we were able to help clear up any confusion.

-George

--- George T.
0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Hi George,

Thanks a lot for the contribution,

The name of the installation wizard I am using is "Database_Server_Desktop_103_143531", according to your posts, I've figured that with this software installed I can create a workgroup geodatabase that enables only three users, and if I installed the server version of this installation wizard (which I do not know its name, and it would be highly appreciated if you mention its complete name) I can create a workgroup geodatabasse with 10 users. Is this correct?

Yours,

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

It should be something like this.....  "Database_Server_Workgroup_1031"

Make sure that you have a license for the following product:  ArcGIS Server for Workgroup (any license level: Basic, Standard or Advanced)

That should get you moving.....

--- George T.
0 Kudos