DBMS table not found-invalid object name

Jump to solution
09-24-2019 10:34 AM
AlicePence
Occasional Contributor II

This error pops up when I'm trying to edit a feature in a feature class:

"Attribute Update: An unexpected failure occurred. DBMS table not found [42S02:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'port.mv_ELEC_VAULT'.][gisdb.PORT.elec_vault]

but it lets me delete the feature and I can create a new feature as well. I've tried unregistering and re-registering DB and compress and all that -

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

That sounds great...here is a quick reference on using the SDE Command Line tools with a version above 10.2.x: FAQ: Can ArcSDE command line tools be used against 10.3 and newer geodatabases? 

Here is the command line reference if needed: 

ArcSDE Administration Command Reference 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

The "mv_" prefix looks like this was a multi-versioned view created some time at or prior to a 10.x version of the geodatabase. As such this may be an orphaned metadata entry in the Geodatabase. 

In ArcCatalog, can you have the dataowner schema Enable SQL Access on the feature class? It may be as simple as having the object created for the reference metadata. Here are instructions on creating the versioned view: What is a versioned view?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
AlicePence

I was wondering if that "mv_" was related to a multi-versioned view created before. I tried your step and the Enable SQL Access option is greyed out and I'm the dataowner

0 Kudos
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok, it sounds like this might be an orphaned repository record. Does that table (port.mv_ELEC_VAULT) exist in the database?

If not, do you mind if we get you connected with Technical Support?

0 Kudos
AlicePence

I've looked in Table and Views in SQL server have not been able to find that port.mv_ELEC_VAULT - either its really good at hiding or it no longer exists (I fear the latter). I've found past documents on our GIS DB creation showing that MV tables are required, so not sure how those are set up ie different than the versioned tables that end in "_evw"

0 Kudos
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

In the past, they would have been set up using the SDE command-line tools (deprecated at 10.2.x). Do you mind if I get you connected with Technical Support to help identify the cause and suggest a resolution?

0 Kudos
AlicePence

I think we are getting closer now to figuring out the issue and it's those MV tables that -like you said- need to be created with the SDE command-line tools. I'm meeting with my team here soon to find if there is extra documentation somewhere about creating those and if we get stuck again - I'll gladly take that Tech Supports help. Thanks for the bit of insight of the issue so far!

0 Kudos
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

That sounds great...here is a quick reference on using the SDE Command Line tools with a version above 10.2.x: FAQ: Can ArcSDE command line tools be used against 10.3 and newer geodatabases? 

Here is the command line reference if needed: 

ArcSDE Administration Command Reference 

AlicePence

So after following your links i was able to see that if I use the 'Create Database View' tool and just straight up make a view called "mv_ELEC_VAULT" that trigger (created way before my time...) ended up working!! No need to figure out how to use the SDE Command Line tools - 

Again, thanks for your insight and I was able to get the issue resolved. Now off to making all these new views.

0 Kudos
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Great to hear Alice, thank you for the follow-up. I had a few thoughts for this solution long-term I wanted to share with you.

If you aren't editing versioned Feature Classes with SQL this won't play as crucial a role, but I recommend doing this clean-up effort at some point in your DBMS maintenance. Although the views you created solve the issue, they don't contain the same definition as the versioned view would have. This is low-risk if you are only editing with ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, but it would ensure quality repositories in the geodatabase

Steps

1. Delete the multi-versioned views using the SDE Command Line tools (sdetable -o delete_mv_view)
    1. This will remove the metadata reference and the substitute views you created above
  2. Create the versioned views using the Enable SQL Access tool
    1. This will update the naming convention to have "_evw" but it will ensure the view has the correct definition